1. mfriend

mfriend Apr 3, 2019

What is the general consensus on regular service on your watches. I am relatively new to the high end watch game. Have had my Monaco (WW2110.FT6005) for almost 3 years and have had no issues at all with it. I contacted the Canadian TAG service center to find out the cost, approx $200 CDN for "tune-up" and could go up from there depending on condition of movement. it is not a large expense, just wondering if it is worth it seeing that there are no issues.....

2. imagwai

imagwai Apr 3, 2019

At the two extremes, there are manufacturer service intervals, and there's the school of thought that if it's not broken, don't try to fix it. I am somewhere between the two, although that said, I have watches that I know ought to have a service and aren't keeping as good time as they can, but I haven't bothered taking the plunge. If I could find a trusted watchmaker in my area, who charged reasonable prices, then it might be a different story.

3. mfriend

mfriend Apr 3, 2019

I did not know there were manufacturer service intervals, but i am also leaning towards the middle, why do it if it works... might also look for a good watchmaker in the area...... don't like the idea of paying to send it to a depot

4. imagwai

imagwai Apr 3, 2019

Your post has actually prompted me to seek out a reasonably-priced watchmaker in London - think I found one. £280 for service of my Rolex Explorer. My Carrera Reissue could most probably do with a service too but that's £360 being a chronograph. Would be interested to hear what people think of these prices.

These watches are both > 10 years old. I'm not the first owner, but pretty sure they won't have had a service up till now.

5. dtf

dtf Apr 3, 2019

How well does the explorer keep time at the age?

6. imagwai

imagwai Apr 3, 2019

About +10-15 secs / day.

dtf likes this.
  7. dtf

dtf Apr 3, 2019

Not bad. Still within spec for a new Tag. One day I'll buy an Explorer :)

OttoWilliam likes this.
  8. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Apr 4, 2019

Can you find a dealer who can put the watch on timer to see how well it is running, if it is within specs leave it another year?

9. Yago

Yago Apr 4, 2019

Polar explorer II high on my list

10. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Apr 5, 2019

Lol

11. MRC

MRC Apr 5, 2019

I'd rate the prices rather high unless modern movements are trickier than old Valjouxs. My 1960's Heuers with Valjoux 92 or 7730/3 come out at a bit over 200 quid, plus whatever parts are need -- normaly just a mainspring.

At >10 years old I'd get them checked, but after discussing with my usual watchmaker he recommends keeping an eye on power reserve as well as time drift. When either starts to change significantly that's the time for a service. As I am looking at a computer screen for several hours a day it's easy to note these things in a spreadsheet every few months.

Screenshot from 2019-04-05 19-42-10.jpg

I use Rich Askham in Yorkshire for Heuers and related makes, but as he will not do Omegas I have to look elsewhere. Simon Freese in Essex is highly recommended for Omegas but I haven't sent a watch to him yet. There is also Chris Nicholas in Somerset and Nic Green within earshot of the M25. Have not dealt with either but they have very good reputations in vintage circles.

dtf likes this.
  12. imagwai

imagwai Apr 5, 2019

Thanks. I expect there's a London premium attached to those prices, but I don't really have anywhere local.

13. MRC

MRC Apr 5, 2019

For most purposes Royal Mail Special Delivery is very good IME, so any watchmaker in the UK is "local". However anything not within their £2500 maximum insured value, or owned from new for 50 years and therefore un-insurable for that fact, I hand carry both ways.