Forums Latest Auctions Members
  1. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 24, 2021

Okay, now I've looked at a picture of a Black Bay, I think you are right - I don't think it did have gilt on the bezel. So either it is labelled wrongly, or there was another Black Bay in the window? I mean, thinking about it I just asked to see the Black Bay, and she didn't even ask which colour or anything....

imagwai likes this.
  2. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Sep 24, 2021

We look forward to read your impressions of the 58 on wrist after your next visit to London :D at least now we know how you feel about the original BB

thingziliketoo and imagwai like this.
  3. McBeardy

McBeardy Sep 24, 2021

BB58 isn't any more slab sided than an Aquaracer (& considerably less slab sided than the original BB) just under 12mm thick included the domed sapphire I believe.

Aquaracer may seem less slabby due to a thicker bezel (much like Rolex) BB58 is small.

Your window display picture is hard to tell due to the light, but believe it to be the BB58 as no 'black ring' between the case & crown (original BB had this - which your pictures and dimensions were in the blog). Also it's positioned next to the Blue BB58. Original thicker BBs are to the left blue bezel & red bezel black dial.

Each to their own on watches, I for one love mine and it ticks most things I want in a watch, and IMHO beats most in the Tag diver range. But the world would be a dull place if we all like the same things

thingziliketoo and Jim Dollares like this.
  4. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Sep 24, 2021

A poor Swede here asking you, what is the definition of slab sided? Its not as if the 58 has a case shaped to the wrist, it wears and lies pretty flat on the wrist and definitely wears bigger than the 39 mm would suggest I would say. Not too big, but a big 39 mm.

5. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 24, 2021

I don't think 2mm smaller and a gilty bezel is going to massively change my opinion if I'm honest.

6. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 24, 2021

But no 'black' Black Bays.... so where did she get it from?

7. imagwai

imagwai Sep 24, 2021

It's pretty smooth and flat, yes, but I wouldn't call it slab-sided unless it also had some height to it. I wouldn't say the BB58 is chunky in any way, whereas the standard Black Bay, and the Tudor Chronos, are all quite chunky, i.e. side quite proud of the wrist. At the end of the day, it's pretty subjective, though.
    You'll have to ask her that ::popcorn::

8. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 24, 2021

I'm guessing if I had both in the hand I would choose the Black Bay. Cos I never said it was too big, I only said it was too big for you lot.

9. dtf

dtf Sep 24, 2021

Based on my measurements the other week, the bb58 is 39.5mm, only 1mm smaller than the WAY211A ‘41mm’ AR. The AR wears bigger due to the shape of the bezel and the gloss of the ceramic, the bb blends in with your wrist.

10. imagwai

imagwai Sep 24, 2021

So do you like it or not? I can't work it out. ;)

11. dtf

dtf Sep 24, 2021

bb58 vs 41mm AR. BB is definitely more slabby because it doesn’t have the bulge opposite the crown and the case is deeper (to the eye) with a flatter case back

5680E0E2-5667-4C25-833E-9755CA6AEB90.jpeg
    Aquagraph likes this.
  12. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 24, 2021

I have no feelings either way. It is an emotional void.

thingziliketoo and Jim Dollares like this.
  13. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 24, 2021

Oh would you look at that, the picture at the top has no gilt on the bezel, so that IS the right picture all along!

14. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 24, 2021

So wait, are the rivets the same on both the BB58 and the Black Bay? Or do the BB58 ones still have the potential to be hideous?

15. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 24, 2021

All the pictures in this post are correct and the number is correct too.... WTF?

16. McBeardy

McBeardy Sep 24, 2021

Rivets on all models with the 'inhouse movement'.

Gilt on the bezel and same colour crown tube (steel) is the BB58 (in hand smaller obviously)

White/ silver on the bezel and black ring on the crown tube is the BB (& larger in hand next to the BB58).

Crowns also different. BB58 raised rose marking, BB black applied rose logo.

Mspeedster likes this.
  17. McBeardy

McBeardy Sep 24, 2021

Not to be picky, but the image isn't straight on in my eyes, slightly less above the Tag, but either way your point is correct.

18. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 24, 2021

BB post is redone and will be up on Monday. Sorry about that!

19. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Sep 24, 2021

If there wasn't "gilt" on the bezel, it wasn't the BB58. If you just asked to see a "Black Bay", not specifically a "Black Bay 58", then it's most likely the normal Black Bay that you tried on.

I notice in your blog and here in this forum, you use the name "Black Bay" interchangeably with "Black Bay 58", but there is a difference. All BB58s are part of the Black Bay family, but not all Black Bays are 58s.

Probably not, but you never know until you try the real deal.

The Black Bay was already somewhat of a hit when it was introduced, but some criticized its size and chunkiness. It wasn't until the BB58's arrival that people went gaga for them. Even now, many ADs in the US often do not have the 58 in stock (especially on the bracelet), whereas the normal Black Bay is readily available. Having said that, there are many with large wrists who prefer the 41mm Black Bay to the 39mm BB58.

Edited Sep 24, 2021
    dtf likes this.
  20. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Sep 24, 2021

No, all the pictures in your original blog post were wrong and the part number was wrong. They were all pictures of the 41mm Black Bay, not the 39mm Black Bay 58.

One of the pictures was even the older ETA based Black Bay from the early 2010s, not even the current one with the Tudor in-house movement; you can tell because these older ones have the Tudor Rose logo on the dial, not the Shield logo, they also have smiley words on the bottom, rather than straight horizontal.

dtf likes this.