TAG Heuer help Zenith design the next El Primero

1. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Mar 8, 2017

We all know that TAG Heuer is often derided by some as a marketing company who had to buy movements from Seiko, etc, etc. I wonder what they would make of this:

http://www.watchtime.com/wristwatch...-biver-on-zeniths-new-chronograph-movement/2/

TAG Heuer is not only helping design the new version of the El Primero (seemingly based on the Mikro platform), but lead designer Christoph Behling is also involved with the design!

erich77 likes this.
  2. Hubert

Hubert Mar 8, 2017

A while back, can't recall the source, I remember reading rumblings about this. My original thought was that last year's Mikrograph would have "borrowed" from Zenith. So nice to see this was a true collaboration with genuine synergy!

3. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Mar 8, 2017

Can anyone please explained in easiest of language what is 1/100th second timing capabilities ? Thanks

4. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Mar 8, 2017

The chronograph can record the elapsed time to an accuracy of 0.01 seconds.

5. MrJKLFoams

MrJKLFoams Mar 8, 2017

Im excited to see the product of this collaboration.

6. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Mar 9, 2017

Thanks

7. calibre11user

calibre11user Mar 23, 2017

Looks like one of the end results of this collaboration between TAG Heuer and Zenith is the new El Primero 21 movement in the new Zenith Defy El Primero 21 released at Baselworld 2017. Guy Semon from TAG Heuer apparently led the engineering of this entirely new movement.

In my mind, the "El Primero 21" name signifies that the El Primero 21 movement is the "El Primero for the 21st century." Aside from the name, the movement inside of the Zenith Defy El Primero 21 watch is not a traditional El Primero. It is, in fact, technology that began at fellow LVMH group brand TAG Heuer that has been refined and re-engineered for Zenith in a way that probably makes a lot more sense at the Zenith of today than the TAG Heuer of today. Jean-Claude Biver has always been smart about using established assets to create things which feel fresh.

I spoke with Guy Semon - the "head engineer" at TAG Heuer who is among the most important technical people at the brand - about the El Primero 21 movement. Guy admitted that he was more or less the person who began the El Primero 21, which makes total sense because he is the guy to go to (as TAG Heuer and Zenith are in the same group), and Mr. Biver knows it. Guy started at TAG Heuer around 2004 when the brand needed someone to make the now famed Monaco V4 watch work. TAG Heuer never let him go, and for good reason.

Mr. Semon is the man responsible for some of our modern era's more technically challenging watch movements and also for helping TAG Heuer connect with Intel for the Connected smartwatch product. He is also the mind behind the Zenith El Primero 21 movement. According to Guy, while there are similarities between the El Primero 21 and the Mikograph, beyond sharing a dial layout, the two movements don't share any parts, and the Zenith El Primero 21 is a movement that is totally fresh with an entirely novel system.

[​IMG]

Remo, MrJKLFoams and erich77 like this.
  8. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Mar 23, 2017

RB: You’ve revitalized the TAG Heuer brand so that it appeals to younger people now. Will this be a necessary step for Zenith too?
    JCB: Yes. Every brand needs to be revitalized from time to time and needs to connect to the future. But it’s at a different level at Zenith than at TAG Heuer.

Cue more whingeing from traditionalists!

9. Big Adam

Big Adam Mar 23, 2017

I don't think it's the same whinge.
    Without going over old/new Autavia ground, there's nothing in the TH Baselworld offering for the 'old boys'. My view is that, viewed as a whole, it's all pretty underwhelming.
    With Zenith, the 'Defy' models have always been a little different, a little out-there. The models shown above do nothing for me but also don't look like much of a departure from what Zenith have been offering (as part of it's range) for quite some time.

10. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Mar 23, 2017

Indeed, so maybe they haven't launched a more radical redesign yet?

11. Hubert

Hubert Mar 26, 2017

12. MrJKLFoams

MrJKLFoams Mar 27, 2017

I really like this one 36K vph and 360K vph when chrono engaged. Just amazing collaboration between 3 brands. Just wondering when this will become available? Thanks

13. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Mar 27, 2017

Just to be clear, there are two separate going trains. The 5Hz train runs the time and an entirely separate 50Hz train runs the chronograph. This is built off the technology used to power the TAG Heuer Mikrograph, amongst other watches.

14. Hubert

Hubert Apr 2, 2017

15. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Apr 2, 2017

How is this relevant to the new El Primero movement?

16. Hubert

Hubert Apr 2, 2017

Refresh the page

17. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Apr 3, 2017

Saw lots of El Primero Zeniths at the weekend in the Trafford Centre. They all seemed to be about £5000, isn't that unusually cheap?

18. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Apr 3, 2017

Now i want one !

19. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Apr 3, 2017

20. drunken monkey

drunken monkey Apr 3, 2017

I've said this before but it feels like Zenith are now going to be making/selling the watches that TAGHeuer aren't allowed to.