TAG Heuer Carrera vs. TAG Heuer Carrera

1. FlyDuc78

FlyDuc78 Dec 15, 2016

Hi everyone, I just joined this forum when I found it as I was searching for my TAG Heuer Monza which I just received yesterday. However, this thread is about these two Carreras' watches that I can't decide since I like them both. I like to know what you guys have to say about each one of these watches.

The 1st is the TAG Heuer Carrera Ref. CV5111.FC6335.
    The 2nd is the TAG Heuer Carrera Ref. CAR221A.FC6353

One of these could be my next purchase, so I like to hear what others think about these two watches. I appreciate all your inputs good or bad.

Thanks,
    Sam

TAG Heuer CV5111.FC6335.jpg TAG Heuer CAR221A.FC6353.jpg
  2. dtf

dtf Dec 15, 2016

You need to try them on in the metal, and it depends a bit what you want it for, are you going to wear it or add it to a collection? They're both special watches, the telemeter (2nd image) is beautiful, but I wouldn't wear it every day. The calibre 17 is very nice but quite thick.

FlyDuc78 likes this.
  3. FlyDuc78

FlyDuc78 Dec 15, 2016

Hi dtf, thanks for the reply. I am going to wear it and also include it into my collection. Although I don't know if I will start a collection since I'm very new into the watch scene. I have the following three watches right now and this is ordered by time line. I think I still have a long way to go to even start thinking about becoming a real collector. I just like all watches and I think right now I'm just all over the place. I really need to think about the direction I want to take with my watch collection. But let me know what's your opinion if I should go with No. 1 or No. 2.

1. TAG Heuer Aquaracer (Ref. WAB2010.FN0471) - bought in 11/2007
    2. Porsche Design Diver P'6780 (Ref. 6780.44.53.1218) - bought in 10/2016
    3. TAG Heuer Monza (Ref. CR2080.FC6375) - bought in 12/2016

Thanks,
    Sam

4. Hubert

Hubert Dec 15, 2016

I have both (mine is the Jack Heuer 80th Anniversary), but I prefer the Calibre 17 over the Telemeter. I personally don't like glassbox domes like the one used in the Telemeter, as it tends to rob the dial from its natural dimensions and elegance. Here are some side-by-side pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OttoWilliam, dtf and FlyDuc78 like this.
  5. FlyDuc78

FlyDuc78 Dec 15, 2016

I do like the Calibre 17 since it's 41mm compare to the 39mm in case size.

6. Big Adam

Big Adam Dec 15, 2016

dtf is correct. You do need to try both on. The CV5111 is closer in size and 'heft' to your other watches. I have the CV211A (the inverse colour scheme to the CV5111) and it's a beautiful thing but I already know that I'll flip it sometime next year. Like some others here, the profile just lacks a little elegance.

By contrast, I'm in love with the Calibre 18 Telemeter. So much so that I now own two (don't ask!).
    Some criticise the domed glassbox crystal. Some criticise the size. But for me the combination of design details make it a modern classic.
    I also love that it is unique. While the CV5111 has 5, or is it now 7, sister varients, the CAR221A is a one off and while there was a whisper (rumour?) suggesting an alternate colour scheme a while back, nothing has been seen.
    Your Monza is unique. I'd pair it with another only child.

7. Hubert

Hubert Dec 15, 2016

Yes, the size is noticeably different. When I first saw the Telemeter in person, I was honestly disappointed by how small it is. Sure it's closer to the dimensions of the originals from the 60s, but to me the Telemeter's dial looks tiny, especially due to the sunken edges and the glassbox dome.

FlyDuc78 likes this.
  8. Hubert

Hubert Dec 15, 2016

Good points. Although, I do appreciate that there are other variants, as I love my anthracite model. ;)
    [​IMG]

Pitfitter446 and FlyDuc78 like this.
  9. Big Adam

Big Adam Dec 15, 2016

Wanna buy a blue one? :p

10. FlyDuc78

FlyDuc78 Dec 15, 2016

I do like the Calibre 18 Telemeter since it looks more classic or vintage. But I also like the Calibre 17 for the dial color blue hence I couldn't decide which one to get. So, if you are to purchase only one of these two watches which one would you buy?

11. Hubert

Hubert Dec 15, 2016

Try them both as @dtf & @Big Adam said. No substitute for seeing them in the metal.

FlyDuc78 likes this.
  12. FlyDuc78

FlyDuc78 Dec 15, 2016

Yes I think I'm going to try to find them in a store near me so I can try both of them on my wrist. I'll keep you guys posted!

13. FlyDuc78

FlyDuc78 Dec 15, 2016

I apologize to throw this in for you guys. This watch, Tudor Heritage Black Bay Bronze (Ref. 79250BM), is going against one of these 2 Carreras.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
    Sam

Tudor Bronze.png
    dtf likes this.
  14. Big Adam

Big Adam Dec 15, 2016

Totally different beast. You are all over the place! :)

FlyDuc78 likes this.
  15. FlyDuc78

FlyDuc78 Dec 15, 2016

Yes I am and I agree since I'm not really brand loyal. I like all watches right now from Panerai, IWC, Omega, Rolex, AP, etc.

The reason I like the Tudor is it's simplicity, 43 mm case size and in bronze also it came with a nato strap.

They are all in my price range, but I can only get one more watch in the next 3 months. So I have to be mindful of which one to get.

I really appreciate all your inputs and comments.

Sam

16. Big Adam

Big Adam Dec 15, 2016

Then I'd say drop the Telemeter as an option now. You'll find it too small in the same way I found the Monza too large (I also found the lightweight construction disconcerting).

Where the Monza pulls off 'retro', I find the Tudor just looks 'elderly'.

17. FlyDuc78

FlyDuc78 Dec 15, 2016

Is it because Tudor is a sub of Rolex?

18. dtf

dtf Dec 15, 2016

Kinda... I run hot and cold on these, but clearly going to buy one at some point!

I rather like the tudor, but worried it might age badly, look dated in a couple of years time. Most important thing is to try a bunch of watches, while wearing the clothes that you're going to wear the watch with. See how it looks on your arm and ideally in a full length mirror from a few paces away.

FlyDuc78 likes this.
  19. Big Adam

Big Adam Dec 15, 2016

Not at all. I don't buy that 'poor man's Rolex' line. The Black Bays are a desirable product in their own right.
    But I think Tudor went the wrong route with this Heritage model. It's just a modern piece in vintage colours. The strap would look great on a real vintage piece, but here it's just trying too hard.

dtf likes this.
  20. Hubert

Hubert Dec 15, 2016

Since you are looking all over, I'll pitch in and post this video that has stuck in my mind ever since I saw it.