1. Blue Tag

Blue Tag Sep 1, 2019

Does PVD Coating last a long time before
    Peeling or cracking ?

2. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Sep 1, 2019

Are you looking at any specific watch? Because I think it differs a lot between watches depending on shape of the case, material of the case and pricepoint of the watch (cheaper watches seem to have crappier coating). One thing worth remembering though is that if you are worried about this and think that it would bother you it is probably better to look into other materials if you want a black watch e.g a carbon, ceramic or composit case that will be scratch proof and remain black because a coated case will eventually start loosing the coating.

3. Blue Tag

Blue Tag Sep 2, 2019

4. Blue Tag

Blue Tag Sep 3, 2019

Yes , I was looking at aquracer and tissot?
    All in black ...

5. akong71

akong71 Sep 4, 2019

I'm with Jim on this one. PVD looks cool and is scratch resistant - not it is not impervious to scratches. If a scratch does happen and you can see the steel underneath the PVD coating, this cannot be corrected or polished out. The entire part (e.g. bezel, case, bracelet, etc.) would need to be replaced.

A few years ago, I managed to put a nasty ding in my F1 chronogrraph bezel. It's a long story, but I was in a confined area and managed to hit my watch against a concrete pillar. Amazingly, the crystal was not scratched. But the PVD coating on the bezel had a few deep scratches which I covered with a black jiffy marker. It looked OK, and I was probably the only one who noticed the flaw. But it bothered me. Eventually, I bit the bullet and ordered a new OEM bezel. It wasn't that expensive, surprisingly, and there's a local TAG Heuer Service Centre in my city so I took it there where they swapped the bezel on site.

My point is - something will likely happen eventually. If you're OK with scratches, then I'd say go for it. If you are OCD like some of us, then maybe think about a watch with a different material or coating.

Good luck!

6. Blue Tag

Blue Tag Sep 4, 2019

Thanks for the info. I’m a little OCD
    about scraps+scratches , but I can’t control my self a great it looks. ‍♂️

What other types watches are you referring to as different coating and materials?
    Do they make solid black watch cases?

7. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Sep 4, 2019

Like I mentioned in my first reply I recommend getting a watch in ceramic or carbon, google and see what you can find. Another good material is plastic composite where Breitling's "Breitlight" material used for the Skyracer and the Hurricane are two examples. Either of these three alternatives will remain black even if they get scratches :thumbsup:

Edit: I also think Victorinox has a I.N.O.X model in composite at a competitive pricepoint

Blue Tag and akong71 like this.
  8. dtf

dtf Sep 6, 2019

Omega has a black ceramic planet ocean.

Pvd apparently depends on the harness of the material it is on, hence most (all?) recent TH pvd watches have titanium cases.

I've worn a black aquaracer 500m for about 4 years, on and off, I've been fairly careful but not obsessive and I've traveled with it a bunch of times. So far I've not managed to scratch it, but there is a tiny amount of polishing on some of the corners. I've posted pictures here previously when we have discussed pvd.

Blue Tag likes this.
  9. SteveP

SteveP Sep 6, 2019

I can only really comment on more vintage pieces (1980s) in which case we see a lot of wear on PVD coating, not necessarily from bumps and bruises but merely rubbing against body parts/clothing etc. (they're all on brass cases btw.)

Not sure if the process has been improved since, either in the material or application (I guess it has) however isn't/hasn't DLC pretty much taken over from PVD or are they still using it?
    Steve

10. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 6, 2019

From watching youtube videos, carbon bezels are to be avoided. Apparently AP made a Royal Oak with a carbon bezel and when they inevitably go back they replace them with a ceramic bezel because the carbon is useless.

11. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Sep 6, 2019

I think a common mistake is to confuse these terms, if I remember correctly DLC is a type of PVD. PVD is the process and DLC refers to the type of material used or something like that

12. dtf

dtf Sep 6, 2019

The 1980s pieces are steel not titanium, the coating may have improved too

13. Blue Tag

Blue Tag Sep 6, 2019

I appreciate your reply because I almost bought one can’t wait to receive pictures thanks so much

14. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Sep 6, 2019

On completely different track, now the discontinue carbon version of RO AP considered as "collector's item"

I went to sell my Heuer01(to a watch seller) the other day and said, they are discontinuing the Heuer01. The seller said "nobody really cares about discontinue Tag".

Expected. But i am still butt hurt.

Blue Tag likes this.
  15. Remo

Remo Sep 7, 2019

Well, let's suffer such ignorant fools gladly! ;)

Blue Tag and OttoWilliam like this.
  16. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Sep 7, 2019

I am all in, Brother ;)

Remo likes this.
  17. Blue Tag

Blue Tag Sep 8, 2019

It only a opinion..‍♂️

OttoWilliam likes this.
  18. SteveP

SteveP Sep 10, 2019

Gotcha. I just looked it up and think you're right. I knew PVD was the process not the material, but it does seem you now 'PVD' DLC.....! I guess then my question should have been do they all tend to use the DLC coating these days, which is more durable than that of the '80s? DLC being 'Diamond-like Carbon Coating, and the previosu material being 'titanium nitride', I understand.

They were mostly brass cases I believe, but maybe the material adheres better to titanium these days? Staying on topic, are the PVD watches being discussed all titanium then?
    S

19. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Sep 10, 2019

@Blue Tag one excellent tip for black coating that will last is the Damasko watches, they are similar to Sinn but pure badass made for badass m*therf****rs :cool:

Blue Tag likes this.
  20. Blue Tag

Blue Tag Sep 10, 2019

How about a “ bad ass “ pix ?