Poll: what do you think if a Carrera H02 cosc with rattrapante would be released?

1. Johan63

Johan63 Aug 31, 2019

Poll: what do you think if a Carrera H02 cosc with rattrapante would be released?

2. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 31, 2019

It doesn't really make sense for TAG to do that, they wouldn't sell many and no doubt it would cost a fortune to develop - if it could even be done on an 02. Plus which sort of Carrera would you put it into?

3. Hubert

Hubert Aug 31, 2019

A rattrapante would be too costly. Maybe as a technical exercise.

4. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Aug 31, 2019

Would be cool but probably more likely for lvmh to put something like that in a Zenith or Hublot

5. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Aug 31, 2019

It seems unlikely to me. The most complex TAG Heuer has ever gone with a chronograph is the flyback function (Calibre 36 or now H02).

6. Johan63

Johan63 Sep 1, 2019

In 2013 Tag Heuer released the Carrera caliber 36 with flyback on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the Carrera watch, which takes the aesthetic inspiration from the Heuer stopwatches of the 1960s. Jeff Stein explains this in this video: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/video-jeff-stein-on-the-new-tag-heuer-carrera-flyback

Because Heuer made stopwatches with rattrapante in the past, I thought, referring to the Carrera Caliber 36 as mentioned above, that a rattrapante could be (technical) possible with the h02 movement, also taking the aestetic inspiration from the Heuer stopwatches of the past. The rattrapante stopwatches uses the 76R movement built exclusively by valjoux for Heuer https://reference.grail-watch.com/movement/valjoux-76r/

upload_2019-9-1_8-59-21.jpeg

Later on Tag Heuer built a rattrapante 1/10 seconds chronograph 200 meter professional with quartz movement:

upload_2019-9-1_9-16-33.jpeg

Jim Dollares and Albert-AMG like this.
  7. Johan63

Johan63 Sep 1, 2019

upload_2019-9-1_9-20-1.jpeg upload_2019-9-1_9-20-21.png

dtf likes this.
  8. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 1, 2019

Are you sure about that? It looks like a standard chrono to me. I think the black hand counts the minutes for the chrono, it looks suspiciously like the same movement I have in several older pieces... running seconds at 6, 1/10 seconds at 2 and chrono hours at 10.

9. Johan63

Johan63 Sep 1, 2019

It’s the rare 575.406r with the eta 252.262 movement:

http://calibercorner.com/eta-caliber-251-262/

See for example also this link:

http://goldsmithwatchworks.com/FEB-...-200-M-1-1OTH-RATTRAPANTE-PRO-CHRONOGRAPH.htm

Edited Sep 1, 2019
  10. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 1, 2019

a.JPG
    Okay I got the hands the wrong way round but this is not a 'proper' split timer. The red hand counts minutes, not seconds. I think the confusion arises because if you press the bottom pusher the second hand stops and then if you press it again it jumps forward to where it would have been had it not stopped. So it does achieve the same result in effect, but it isn't a rattrapante as I understand it. As I thought, this is the same movement as in the 6000 Series and the Kirium.

11. Johan63

Johan63 Sep 2, 2019

Albert-AMG likes this.
  12. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Sep 2, 2019

At first the idea seemed silly to me but NOW I realized that Tag is making a tourbillion Carrera so why the heck not a ratrap... rattrapante... rattraprante? Anything is possible

Remember when I tried the solid gold Navitimer with rattrapante (need to bing that word to learn) and the complication is really cool

Edit: I was of course aware of the tourbillions just did not think of them in relation to this thread

Albert-AMG and Johan63 like this.
  13. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Sep 2, 2019

TAG Heuer does have history with tourbillions though.

14. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 3, 2019

I believe a rattrapante is quite a difficult complication, I've no doubt TAG could do it if they wanted to, but is it marketable? Being able to offer a Swiss tourbillon at a rock bottom price was a massive selling point, would enough people care about a rattrapante?

15. Johan63

Johan63 Sep 3, 2019

I think this must be possible. Breitling already did it with the Navitimer AB0310211Q1A1 (€ 10,630); AB0310211Q1A1 (€ 10,870); AB03102A1F1A1 (€ 11,420). Breitling has worked on this project for a number of years and has developed a robust and precise system that can be produced in series in a simpler way than the existing systems. This innovative mechanism has protected Breitling with two patents: a patent concerns the decoupling mechanism that separates the rattrapante pointer from the movement and a second patent concerns the mechanism that halts the rattrapante hand. The total rattrapante mechanism has only 28 components. Breitling has therefore demonstrated that it is possible to develop a reasonably simple and cost-effective rattrapante, so why not Tag Heuer. From a technical point of view, Tag Heuer must be in a good position to develop complicated mechanisms. For example, take a look at the Monaco V4, the Carrera Mikrotourbillons, the Carrera Mikrometer Flying 10000, the Carrera MikopendulumS and of course the Carrera Calibre Heuer 02T COSC.

Albert-AMG likes this.
  16. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 3, 2019

I've no doubt it is within TAG's capabilities, is there a market for it though?

17. Johan63

Johan63 Sep 3, 2019

You can indeed ask yourself who needs a rattrapante. It is the same rhetorical question as: who needs a flyback, a chronograph, a tourbillon or a diver's watch. In most cases it is an emotional, irrational decision. It is just like art. in this case the art of watchmaking, the design of the case, the dial, the timepiece, the art of making a movement with all its complications. The same applies to wanting vintage watches. Having fun in those things and rejoice and enjoy it. You want it for these reasons, although you don't actually need it. So I think there will be a market for that.

Albert-AMG likes this.
  18. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Sep 4, 2019

Who needs diver watch : Adventurous Desk Diver

Who needs flyback : Regular Car Owner

Who needs tourbillon : Lonely Rich Person

Who needs chronograph : F1 Hero Fans

Just kidding. Please don't kill me :D

19. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 4, 2019

Who needs dive watch: people who love lume

Who needs chronograph: people who like subdials (even if they never use them... also see some fashion watches were the dials don't even work!)

Who needs tourbillon: people who want to look cool and rich

Who needs a flyback: A very limited number of people who appreciate the complexity of movement necessary to make it, and don't mind paying a high price to get one. Probably these are the same people who be into owning a rattrapante. How many flyback watches do TAG sell? How many dive watches? There's the problem.

20. Johan63

Johan63 Sep 4, 2019

You say it yourself: most people buy a certain watch because they like it and not because they really need it. A cheap quartz watch also shows the time and in many cases more precise than any mechanical watch. You don't even need that anymore to know what time it is today. After all, one has a smartphone that you can read the time on.
    If before you try something you are afraid that it may not work, you will never get further. When JCB invented a completely black watch at the time he was with Hublot, he was declared crazy. After all, you couldn't read the time on a completely black watch. However, JCB was right. The watch was a complete success. So I don't see things as a problem like you do, but as a challenge. After all, where would humanity be if they had seen challenges as a problem and therefore perhaps would not have accepted that challenge ......