1. Nselway1

Nselway1 Sep 30, 2016

I'm looking to purchase my 1st luxury watch and I'm torn between two: Monaco (CW211.BA0780) or Grand Carrera (WAV511B.BA0900). Please could you advise me on the pros and cons of both and what your pick would be? Thanks

2. Big Adam

Big Adam Oct 1, 2016

The Monaco is classic but it's a very particular, unusual design. It will either work for you or it will not. And that's important. You need to spend an hour at a dealer trying on both models, not a quick 'yes, that's lovely' but get up and move around, stand in front of a full length mirror wearing clothes you'll typically wear with the watch. If that's jeans and a t-shirt, fine. If it's a suit, the effect and feel will be different.
    Treat the watch like a piece of expensive jewellery. A woman would not buy a necklace or ring of this price without trying it on properly, neither should you.
    Personally, I'd go with the Monaco, but it's a VERY distinctive piece and the shape/size might not work for you. But all watch buying is very personal. At any price-point, no one piece is 'better' than another unless it looks and feels better on you. For all the reviews and pictures on the internet, it comes down to the feeling it gives you on the wrist.

dtf, Nselway1 and Telemeter like this.
  3. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 1, 2016

Carrera is a more classical style that might fit under a cuff more easily so as Adam suggested carefully try both, each has its place and ultimately most collectors when faced with this conundrum will just solve it by eventually buying both :)

Nselway1 likes this.
  4. dtf

dtf Oct 1, 2016

Adam is entirely correct, you have to try them on, with the clothing you expect to wear with it. I tried on a Heuer-01, very disappointed. Tried it on again, three days later, different outfit and different setting, fell in love.

5. elbeik

elbeik Oct 2, 2016

You have to factor in a couple of elements before making a decision, especially when a Monaco is a challenge to be considered a daily.
    How big is your wrist? A Grand Carrera is a large watch.
    Do you have watches in rotation? Take that into consideration before pulling the trigger on a Monaco.
    Your sense of fashion; casual, business casual, formal?

One last word on the Grand Carrera; if it's not a Chronograph model, by all mean, a Calibre 1887 or Monaco are a far better choice.

6. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Oct 3, 2016

I'd pass on the GC and go with the Monaco. The Monaco is an icon. The GCs are (were since they are discontinued) an odd concept that never really worked IMO.

Whatever you do choose though, be sure to try it on extensively before purchasing. You have to be happy with it looks on your wrist.

7. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Oct 3, 2016

Which Monaco are you looking at? Is it CW2111? This one?
    2880_001_front.jpg

8. Nselway1

Nselway1 Oct 3, 2016

Yes however the one I've seen has a steel bracelet. I'm new to this (only own a couple of basic longines) and within my price range the GC and Monaco were the ones I liked most

9. Big Adam

Big Adam Oct 3, 2016

This one:
    http://www.parkhousethejeweller.com/pre-owned-tag-heuer-monaco-5808?
    And one of these?:
    http://www.parkhousethejeweller.com/pre-owned-tag-heuer-grand-carrera-5741?
    http://www.parkhousethejeweller.com/pre-owned-gents-tag-heuer-grand-carrera?

If so, I would suggest none of these (at the price listed) represent good value for money. The Monaco in particular seems significantly overpriced to me especially as it appears they are only providing the balance of the service warranty (although it is serviced!).
    Haggle hard or walk away and find a better price elsewhere.

10. Nselway1

Nselway1 Oct 3, 2016

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Tag Heuer/Monaco/CW2111.BA0780/1548/item/60009

this is the one ive seen

11. Big Adam

Big Adam Oct 3, 2016

Much better value with box and papers! :)

12. Nselway1

Nselway1 Oct 3, 2016

thanks I'm viewing them this week again but will most likely purchase the Monaco

13. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Oct 3, 2016

14. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Oct 3, 2016

Don't know AU price, but they seem to be around USD600 if bought from the US, so probably close to A$1000 once shipped

15. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Oct 3, 2016

Ouch, I just wept a little bit.