Ownership Experiences- 2017 TAG Heuer Connected Modular 45

1. Webmonkey

Webmonkey Jun 19, 2017

Regarding the second layer when i got my watch i couldn't see anything obvious. After reading this forum it was apparent there was indeed another layer. Tried gingerly to remove it but nothing happened. In the end i threw caution to the wind and proper dug my fingernail in. Got the plastic of in the end with no damage to the screen.

Muchmaligned1 likes this.
  2. Hubert

Hubert Jun 19, 2017

Yes, same thing on my end as well.

3. tswire

tswire Jun 19, 2017

But you guys still have excessive finger marks and blueish tinge on an angle? That's the real issue, not necessarily if there is a second film or not. I have owned many smart watches from Apple, Samsung and Others with ZERO or minimal smudges or colour saturation on an angle. Yes, most have been saffire crystal so that's not the reason. There is some stupid ass coating they must have used like anti reflective (which if it is, it sucks because glare is also an issue).

4. JcMarin

JcMarin Jun 19, 2017

Experience with Water Resistance

So I spent most of last week doing water sports and activities, and just wanted to share my experience with the watch under these conditions

The Good:
    Good news is the watch is working just fine after spending a significant part of the week under water (both Sea & fresh water) and under several conditions:
    * Being submerged for around an hour while snorkeling
    * Splash and falls from WaveRunner water bikes
    * Jumping/Diving from several heights into a sinkhole (highest was around 14 Meters high)
    * Swimming/Wave Diving @ sea for around an hour several times

The Somewhat Expected:
    * You can't interact with the watch while in water, the touchscreen is unresponsive and you should not press the crown button as this could compromise water seal
    * This is true until the watch is fully dried, and this is not just wiping the screen with a towel or removing water form the screen, in most cases the touchscreen worked fine after it had been fully dried and out of water for a minute or so
    * After spending some time in Sea Water salt build-up was considerable on both screen and bracelet (Black Rubber in mi case) and needs some thorough cleaning afterwards. I took care of this with some shampoo and warm water while I showered

The Bad:
    * Depending on the activity the watch would activate (wake) and even do random swipes and screen touches, this was specially true whit Sea Water and wave diving. In some cases the random swipes/touch end up starting an app, changing watch-faces etc.
    * This was much less while snorkeling or at the pool, but still happened and the problem is that if the swipe for instance started an app or changed watch-face you can't really do much about it as the touchscreen is imposible to use while your in the water
    * I ended up putting the watch in theater mode (TM) before going swimming at sea, which of course avoided the random activity problem; this was fine for some activities since I was not really concerned with the time while swimming, but in certain cases (like snorkeling or diving) having the time was more important
    * Also if you take the watch out of theater mode (only doable by pressing the crown) there is no way to put it back in theater mode while its wet.

So, it would be ideal if there was a way to de-activate the touchscreen but leave the always-on display active instead of off which is what TM does. Also TM also disables alerts which is not good. I did some research and found some apps in Google Store that can do this but only on rooted watches (not sure I'm confortable with that)

One last thing. I'm using an analog watchface most of the time, but I created a Digital one with just big bold numbers in neon green to use while doing water activities, this was much easier to read quickly by just glancing at the watch and much more readable while under-water.

Eliran, Mr_timmmme and Hubert like this.
  5. Muchmaligned1

Muchmaligned1 Jun 20, 2017

I actually sent mine back to Tag because I thought there was a nick in the crystal. A kind person on this forum alerted me to the second protective covering. I immediately called Tag and asked to have my watch back. Within seconds after receiving my watch back, I had removed the covering and confirmed my overreaction. Still, glad to have my Connected back!

Hubert likes this.
  6. Muchmaligned1

Muchmaligned1 Jun 20, 2017

Thanks for letting us know! After reading your posts, I asked Tag to send it back. Within moments, I was once again wearing my Connected. On a somber note, Wife would not let me wear Aquaracer while Connected was being serviced. I don't blame you for that.

Thanks again,

Much

7. Hubert

Hubert Jun 20, 2017

It pays to be a Calibre11 member! :)

8. nelsinho

nelsinho Jun 20, 2017

I don't think my nails are strong enough for this.... :)

9. laurent

laurent Jun 20, 2017

So after multiple contacts with tag order support I finally got my 5/8 order delivered, and now I want to order extra lugs and the website is not cooperating... is there another source for lugs?

It came with the firmware from 2 rev ago, which was disappointing (old stock?) and battery usage is poor despite now being on latest firmware and having run down the battery all the way to 0 and back to 100% a couple times.

For instance: I went from 100% to 7% in less than 13hours and the Watch battery in Android Gear shows
    58 mins left and Screen 66% Watch idle 2% and that's it
    This is with a Tag Heuer 3 hand blue watch face (when on) and b&w (when off) on auto with gestures and maybe a dozen or 2 notifications during the day but nothing else... Why ?

ps: the watch is beautiful for a smart watch
    pps: it did have 2 layers of screen protection, an obvious one with a blue sticker part and less obvious one under it
    ppps: it died after 13h... that seems very low (supposedly 30h with always on?)

Edited Jun 21, 2017
  10. chrisuk

chrisuk Jun 21, 2017

I'm getting less than 12 hours now with a white face, so switched back to silver on /black dim, which gives around 14 hours.
    Nowhere near advertised....

11. sailtx109

sailtx109 Jun 21, 2017

Is there a way too adjust the timeout or gesture sensitivity? Thanks

Eliran likes this.
  12. timeslip

timeslip Jun 21, 2017

Is the calfskin band water proof?

13. Mr_timmmme

Mr_timmmme Jun 22, 2017

I am about two weeks into owning the Modular 45. I received it with Software NXH19N. The watch is paired to an iPhone.
    First Week battery life was disappointing with average 14hrs. I then "calibrated" battery twice and battery life seems to improve.
    I am running Tag Heuer Studio 3 Counter Chronograph in red, screen always on, gestures on, Notifications on, Gps off. The last couple of days there was always 30% or more battery left after 14hrs of wearing the watch.

I noticed that randomly the music control keeps running even music is turned off on iPhone.. this seems to drain battery quite a bit.
    Also noticed that Tilt-to-Wake doesn't work on my watch. Is anybody experiencing this?

14. PedroHeuer85

PedroHeuer85 Jun 22, 2017

Hi all... I have a question for all iPhone users please (it's not related to the connected though)

My wife is on iOS and has just purchased the MK access however the watch says she has no contacts and is unable to reply to any messages, text, WhatsApp or email (Gmail) which I understood with the 2.0 update she would be able to do.

Do any iPhone users have these problems? I have spoken with MK customer support and they said that iPhone users can't do any of this despite the numerous articles I've read online stating that you can?

Thanks in advance

15. PedroHeuer85

Thanks.. do you have an issue with the contacts as well?

16. abeverat

abeverat Jun 22, 2017

Yes. It is as designed. The best is to have your contacts on a google server. iPhone can read them as well as your watch and you are future proof in case you want to change phone !

17. PedroHeuer85

Ok so I need to add all the contacts to Google? How does one do that?

In iPhone settings under accounts- Gmail the contacts option is on but still doesn't show anything?

I assume I need to copy her phone contacts to her Gmail account?

18. PedroHeuer85

I see... Maybe I'll give it a go but is probably pointless as she can't send messages from it anyway lol! Appreciate everyone's help

19. Rkick07

Rkick07 Jun 22, 2017

it's not a scratch - its the particles left behind from the bottle; perhaps the cap. I had a similar issue with mine hitting a steel object and the residue got attached to the bezel. I did some searching online and found that with a pencil eraser it should get all if not most of that residue off. I had 3 scratches and was able to reduce it to just one. Give it a shot.

20. Rkick07

Rkick07 Jun 22, 2017

Thanks for this review, I've been wanting to take it out boating in salt water but have been to scared to do so.

Eliran likes this.