Ownership Experiences- 2017 TAG Heuer Connected Modular 45

1. Hawkinskarl

Hawkinskarl May 9, 2017

Hi All,

I have had my watch 4 weeks now love it. Has anyone had any issues with Strava app on the watch? Mine doesn't seem to record it doesn't change from 0.1k?? I am going to contact Strava but thought I'd throw it out there. Any help appreciated I have downloaded all the latest updates and I'm using iOS

2. rcipriano

rcipriano May 9, 2017

Hi, changing to Android as phone platform is a personal decision. I am in iOS and IMHO I would not change phone platform due to the CM45, maybe I can change the phone platform due to other reasons but not for the CM45. I am almost certainly that the very few issues that I don't completely like now on the watch experience will be the same with either phone platform. Coming from Apple watch, I love the "watch feeling" and the watch faces (mainly the tag heuer) from the CM45. If I am missing my apple watch faces I just change the watch face to "pear modular" or "pear sport" and done! I am still getting my notifications in the CM45 that came from the phone - android wear- and I am not missing a single notification in the watch hence I am very OK. I miss from the apple watch the screen (much better reading both normal conditions and under direct sunlight than the CM), the rotating crown (hate the fact that I need to navigate with fingers in the screen which results that I cannot see the screen well and much more fingerprinting) and the apple watch complications which after watch OS 2 are very nice but at the beginning were similar that these complications. All the above mentioned in my case is watch hardware, which is I can live with and watch/app software that maybe some day google can improve. Regarding having for example google map in the phone it is not a major issue for me because if I need , I take the phone, similar to reply to a phone or text message. I had dozen apps in apple watch that I used few times and never used again due to the limitation for the size of the watch and pretty sure it will be the same here.... In summary I am OK with my CM45 because I was behind the smart watch with real watch feeling in my wrist and I got it with the Tag Heuer smart watch.(last week I wear the apple watch again for a day and I feel like it was a band...) Cheers!

dc42 likes this.
  3. Hubert

Hubert May 9, 2017

The omission of a rotating crown is a noticeable. Hopefully this will be added on the next TAG Heuer Connected release.

rcipriano likes this.
  4. Vazhap

Vazhap May 9, 2017

Thanks for the detailed response. I moved from the watch as well and despite the Tag feeling like a real watch, do miss a lot when it comes to phone integration as well as the built in health apps. As for Android, can i ask you why you're switching from IOS?
    Thanks in advance.
    Tha

rcipriano likes this.
  5. Vazhap

Vazhap May 9, 2017

Ignore my earlier note. I thought you had moved from IOS rcipriano.

rcipriano likes this.
  6. PedroHeuer85

PedroHeuer85 May 10, 2017

Has anyone ventured out and bought the mechanical calibre 5 for their connected? Are you happy with it? Contemplating a purchase and just curious as to what the packaging is like?

7. Vazhap

Vazhap May 10, 2017

It is, it isn't a better experience with Android? Sorry wasn't clear with the typo.

8. Alandangerchu

Alandangerchu May 10, 2017

I have a ceramic metal black version of the modular 45, however I have noticed that my battery only lasts up to about 10-12 hours, I have tried the battery method mentioned earlier but it has not improved. I want to make sure if this is a software issue or is there something wrong with the battery. Also I don't use wifi nor nfc and even if I turn off tilt to wake and screen off, but it doesn't seem to be making a difference.

Thanks

9. B17KiriCon45

B17KiriCon45 May 10, 2017

I recently experienced a battery issue when I downloaded a new app. After uninstalling, battery life returned to normal. The Wear app battery monitor was useless in identifying the culprit, I had to trial and error it. Just an option for something to check...

10. Alandangerchu

Alandangerchu May 10, 2017

Thanks for the advice, but the thing is, I haven't even downloaded any apps for it.. and it still drains pretty fast even with features turned off

11. timeslip

timeslip May 11, 2017

i saw it in a store, and it was a little bit thinner than the digital one.

12. PedroHeuer85

PedroHeuer85 May 12, 2017

Yeah I expected it to be thinner, did it look as nice (possibly only my opinion) in the flesh as it does in the pictures?

13. timeslip

timeslip May 12, 2017

It "depends".... The mechanical module looked nice, and probably worth the $1600 price. But when you compare the overall look of the watch, it doesn't look as nice as their other watches. I still don't like how thick the connected modular is, but accept it since it is a smart watch. Unfortunately, because of the links, this thing can't be thinner.

Personally, i'm not sure I would spend the extra $1600 for what I would probably consider to be an "ugly watch", if not for the digital aspects.

14. Vazhap

Vazhap May 12, 2017

Improving the battery performance:
    I finally figured out how to get about +28 hours from the watch on a single charge. I switched off the hand gestures (didn't find it useful anyway), kept it on with shaded mode all times, switched wifi off unless its on the charger. A real drastic improvement. Thanks for all the advice folks.

15. AndyHoll123

AndyHoll123 May 12, 2017

Hi Just joined this great forum and after some advice. I have a Tag Formula One in blue, steel and gold and it's awesome. I have dabbled in the smartwatch space and got a Huawei watch for £200 and love the functionality, but obviously looks nowhere near as good as the Tag.

Therefore v tempted with the Connected Modular 45 and have a question.

The watch face for always on dim mode is massively important to me as that's what we will be looking at 99% of the time. The bright mode watch faces are all great, but I can't really seem to see what the dim mode looks like. If I'm going to spend this much on a watch, the dim mode faces have to be great. I know you can customise using Facer but wanted to see what the stock Tag Watchmaker app is like but struggling to ascertain what the dim modes are like. Does anyone have any images or advice please? I want to be able to see the time and reasonable amount of info in dim mode.

The best dim mode ive seen so far is on facer called GMT Master Oyster Perpetual. Thanks

16. PedroHeuer85

PedroHeuer85 May 12, 2017

Thanks for your reply and know what you mean about there being nicer watches for the money, for me it's just the novelty of being able to clip off my smartwatch and connect the mechanical as and when i please... going away on business would be great, smartwatch during the day snap it off and replace with the mechanical in the evening

Think I might make the trip out to my nearest connected stockist (about 45 miles) and have a look at it

17. Hubert

Hubert May 12, 2017

See my post: https://forums.calibre11.com/threads/connected-modular-45-vs-og-connected.54939/
    [​IMG]

18. AndyHoll123

AndyHoll123 May 12, 2017

Thanks for the reply... so the watch in the always on dim mode looks decent then? Is there much option to customose the always on watch-face? The pic on the right looks good with the blue, just looks like it's missing something.. The one on the left is ok. If anyone has any pictures of decent dim modes I would be much obliged. Thanks

19. Hubert

Hubert May 12, 2017

The one on the left is the "new" Connected Modular 45mm. The one on the right is the original Connected 46mm, prior to the Android Wear 2.0 update.
    The face is not "blue" is supposed to be "black", the new display is AMOLED, the old one is LCD.
    The "dim" mode varies on the different watch-faces. Some are better than others. I typically just run fan-made faces using WatchMaker.

20. AndyHoll123

AndyHoll123 May 12, 2017

Thanks, so the watch-faces that say dim on them are the dim mode ones? Just looking to see what the dim mode is like as 99% of the time that's what will be on the watch! Most reviews skirt over dim mode, and frustrating trying to find out what the dim mode version of the watch faces are like as all the links just so the bright mode which is on for like 2 seconds! Many thanks