Ownership Experiences- 2017 TAG Heuer Connected Modular 45

1. weephillie

weephillie Mar 30, 2017

I have had my new TAG Connected for a day now so I'm watching this thread with interest as I'm experiencing the same battery issues. However, slightly off topic ...text messages. I've synced my watch with my phone and I have all my contacts on there. If I go to a contact and select a message I just get the 4 coloured google dots that spin in a circle. I assumed that when I selected the message it would have displayed previous text messages from that contact. Was I wrong to assume this?

2. Hubert

Hubert Mar 30, 2017

Welcome. I'd suggest that you run through the battery calibration process to ensure the watch "learns" its boundaries. See posts earlier on this thread about this.

The dots mean that the process is "working" on the request. Are you using the Google Messaging app? Or the Contacts app?

3. gnc1000

gnc1000 Mar 30, 2017

Yes I have-- I was at 97% this am early on charger overnight continuously from full discharge.

The trick was to take it off the charger for about 30 seconds, and then put it back on.

Charged to 100% in about 15 mins.

Still at 24%, just back from a grocery run with maps, Google keep, Android pay, etc.

As mentioned, first good full day without needing to recharge. Lots of calls, notifications, use of assistant, timers, etc.

4. weephillie

weephillie Mar 30, 2017

I'm using the contacts app. I left it to 'work' for about 10 minutes and in doing so drained 20% from my battery :(

5. pauls

pauls Mar 30, 2017

Did you have ADB on?

6. gnc1000

gnc1000 Mar 30, 2017

I did before my full reformat/reset, but I am avoiding it for now (just want the stock experience for now)

7. Hubert

Hubert Mar 30, 2017

Mine loads the Google Assistant after the four dots. Make sure you have setup the permissions and that Google Assistant is fully configured.

8. dc42

dc42 Mar 31, 2017

Before turning off developer mode I switched on adb bugging and sure enough, a 100% charge.

See this forums knowledge centre works!

Now, to solve the energy crisis.....let's

Hubert likes this.
  9. Iñaki

Iñaki Mar 31, 2017

Hi to everyone, I´m a owner of a Tag Heuer 45 since yesterday.
    Updated, fully discharged and charged all the night.
    Still at 60% since the 8:00 am.
    I´m a user of iOs and can´t see the apps: google maps and spotify on play store. ¿Are only available to Android? Thanks

10. Hubert

Hubert Mar 31, 2017

Welcome @Iñaki. Are you using the Play Store app inside the watch to find the apps?

11. Powlos76

Powlos76 Mar 31, 2017

Good Afternoon
    Debut post from me over here in Manchester (UK) therefore please be gentle.
    I'm seriously considering purchasing the Connected 45 and whilst I'm aware of the potential software bug issues relating to the device, that's not my biggest concern/consideration.
    The only thing that's holding me back from buying this now is how redundant this device may become over the coming years. Technology advances at a considerable rate, and to lay out £1500+ pounds, for the watch potentially being significantly out of date in the coming years, do Tag offer any kind of incentive to upgrade to the next model when it's due out?
    I'm also aware that you can change the watch module to a mechanical one, however that's another £1500 needed to be spent.
    Can anyone quash my concerns?
    Thank you for listening.

12. Iñaki

Iñaki Mar 31, 2017

Yes, and I can´t find it. Write those names and nothing

13. Iñaki

Iñaki Mar 31, 2017

I have the Connected 46 and Tag don´t offer incentive to upgrade.

14. Hubert

Hubert Mar 31, 2017

Correct. No incentives exists or have been announced.

15. Hubert

Hubert Mar 31, 2017

Maybe it's a regional (country) limitation for now.

Iñaki likes this.
  16. Powlos76

Powlos76 Mar 31, 2017

I find that a little disappointing. Whatever happened to customer retention. :-(

17. Hubert

Hubert Mar 31, 2017

That is why they offer option to purchase the mechanical module exists, so that your watch can become "eternal" (in the words of Biver). That is an equivalent strategy to the original Connected, with the difference that now you don't have to wait 2-years, to be able to purchase the mechanical module.

18. wowpeter

wowpeter Mar 31, 2017

Just my experience... when I first got the watch (on the day that it was launch), it was draining at around 7% every hour initially... things improve after draining it to zero and recharge it a few times and, it stabilize to around 5% per hour, which is good enough to last all day...

Then I start playing with the apps on the watch and installing some other ones... this is where I notice a few apps on the watch and on the android wear store really drain the the battery... the worse one is the Bring! Shopping List app... it drain the battery at around 9-10% an hour... as soon as I uninstall it and restart the watch, it is back to normal around 5% per hour.

Finally the last few days, I have been reading this forum, with the latest built, and ADP debug on. I have managed to get the watch to last significantly longer. For example today, the past 10 hours and it only uses 30% battery (still 70% left), I only been using it as a watch and for getting all the notification from my phone with some very light calendar use on the watch to check appointment. So to me you can really push it up to 25-30hours battery life easily.

So my final verdict on the battery issue is that some of the app on the store is definitely having an impact on the watch in terms of battery life. For example some of the app seem to keep running (the watch feels slightly warm even though it is not physically running on the screen, so you know the CPU is processing something)... however the ADP Debug does help as well even with the latest build and it has significantly extend the battery life. I would recommend you guys to check what types of apps has been install on your watch. Once you uninstall it, make sure you restart the watch and see if the battery consumption has improve (it has for me after deleting the Bring! shopping list app).

Iñaki likes this.
  19. Hubert

Hubert Mar 31, 2017

Good observations @wowpeter. My experience is similar. If I constantly use the apps it drains quickly. If it's idle it will last much longer.

Some apps can be more intensive, and like you pointed out, some can still drain the battery in the "background".

I am still on the calibration phase for the latest upgrade, and it seems the battery for mine with mostly "idle" time, moderate use, and default settings, will last about 2-days. I will continue monitoring to see if I can get the 2.4 days I had before the latest "update".
    upload_2017-3-31_9-7-38.png

20. Powlos76

Powlos76 Mar 31, 2017

Thank you Hubert. DO you know how much the mechanical option is? Is it subsidised with you already having the Modular watch?