Forums Latest Auctions Members
  1. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jan 24, 2021

Really? Why is that?
    IDK, I'm not feeling the new El Primero Chrono. Perhaps I'm jaded by the Rolex Daytona. If I can't get the Daytona, I don't want another watch that reminds me of the one that got away.

(Long story, won't get into it here, but pisses me off whenever something reminds me of the Daytona! It's not the other watch, I'm simply sour about the Daytona! ::censored::)

Edited Jan 24, 2021
  2. Yago

Yago Jan 24, 2021

It sounds personal ;)
    You know I really didn’t get the Daytona vibe at first look. Of course there’s the history with the Daytona and the ceramic bezel but I think the ‘Zaytona’ discussions are exaggerated and misinformed. This watch far exceeds any Daytona. I don’t understand people’s infatuation with it.

3. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jan 24, 2021

It is personal. LOL
    I've been interested in the Daytona since around 2008, long before the current craziness among collectors. Because like the Monaco, Autavia & Carrera, the Daytona is one of the most famous watches associated with motorsport.

Anyway, I am very curious why you like this Zenith so much to name it the release of the decade. That's saying a lot.

4. Yago

Yago Jan 24, 2021

I guess it all just comes together for me in this watch. What other brand in this price bracket offers this amount of chronograph tech? The new calibre with the lightning central 1/10th chrono revolution, the recognizable vintage El Primero subdials, a new stunning ceramic bezel, the finishing of the case and bracelet. The white dial is my favourite. I hope these will come within my budget pre owned.

5. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Jan 24, 2021

Tried a friends Daytona, nah no thanks, owned a gold Rolex for 3 days and punted it, I don’t get the Rolex thing. The Zenith is very nice and would have one, but I’d wait till next years sales before buying,

The wife says I’m tight, I prefer careful.::rimshot::

Yago and Mspeedster like this.
  6. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jan 24, 2021

The only Rolex watches I ever wanted were the Submariner (which I own), and the Daytona, for the reasons I stated above. But Rolex has become this monster of late, I doubt I'll ever buy another one new.

However, I would never buy a Zenith. Nice as they might be, the brand persona does nothing for me. Sometimes it's the persona of the watch, rather than the watch itself.

OttoWilliam likes this.
  7. Yago

Yago Jan 24, 2021

Yeah I get that. I’ve been looking into Rolex for a long time. Either the 16570 polar explorer or the 14060 sub would be great watches to own. Both still had the tool watch vibe. These days it all seems to be about bling. I was close with a 14060 not too long ago but another watch always seems to come in between.

Mspeedster likes this.
  8. imagwai

imagwai Jan 24, 2021

Would love to welcome a tritium dial Polar Explorer (16570) into the collection. Probably a bit beyond my means at the moment, and I think prices are only going one way. Agree with you that modern Rolex are more about bling than being functional, and hence have become a bit cumbersome, the 36mm models excepted (although even they have got a bit heavier, chunkier and more colourful!).

9. kappa_md

kappa_md Jan 24, 2021

I’m in the same boat with you sir Speedster. The only Rolex that ever appealed to me is the Submariner, being a versatile tool/dive watch and ofcourse as the OG James Bond’s watch of choice. Second would be the Daytona which is probably closely related to Motorsports but only comes fourth in my list after the Heuer Monaco, Autavia and Carrera.

With the prices of the Daytona being absurd, I never bothered wanting one. The Zenith El Primero, on the other hand, may not be connected to motorsports but its appeal is from a historical and technological advancement, dating back in 1969, a fully integrated automatic movement with high frequency rivaling the Monaco’s claim. It’s capability to time 1/10 of a second accurately is leaps ahead of any Daytona machinery. So it is actually more suited for motorsports ;)

You may not have a Rolex Daytona but you can always say your Zenith El Primero powered one and therefore owes alot of its limelight to the movement. And that is your talking point :D Just my 2 cents :thumbsup:

Mspeedster likes this.
  10. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Jan 24, 2021

The Skydweller is the only Rolex that has ever piqued my interest because it is a mechanical marvel of a movement and the control functions are cool.

Every other Rolex is as boring as bat sh1t.

joecoulson likes this.
  11. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Jan 24, 2021

Agree with the Submariner. But i prefer the vintage dubbed "red sub" Rolex more than the latest version. Although "red sub" also means it is more expensive than the latest BNIB submariner :thumbsdown:

Mspeedster likes this.
  12. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Jan 24, 2021

Can i get quick survey here ?

if you could only choose between 2 categories between 4 (Dive watch, Dress Watch, Pilot Watch, Racing Chronograph Watch). Which one will you keep ?

Personally i will keep to Dive and Racing Chronograph.

13. joecoulson

joecoulson Jan 24, 2021

Chrono and Dive for me.

OttoWilliam and Michael156 like this.
  14. kappa_md

kappa_md Jan 24, 2021

Racing Chronograph & Dive :thumbsup::thumbsup:

OttoWilliam likes this.
  15. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Jan 24, 2021

Racing Chrono and Pilot but the second one is a toss up with Dress.

The issue being, I'm not a huge fan of dive watches and I own any Pilots (but do want to) and my only 'dress' watch would be Seiko Presage.

kappa_md and OttoWilliam like this.
  16. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jan 24, 2021

Based on my own collection, the Racing Chrono is the easy winner. After that it's a tie between Dive and Pilot watches. (And one Space watch, although it's really a Racing Chrono. LOL.) Don't own a true dress watch. Keep telling myself I need one, but always buy something else.

At the end of the day, if only 2, it would be Racing Chrono & Dive watch. As a matter of fact, that's how my collection began.

17. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Jan 24, 2021

Racing chrono and pilot would be my vote

18. imagwai

imagwai Jan 25, 2021

Racing chrono then dive watch

kappa_md likes this.
  19. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG Jan 25, 2021

Racing chrono (in clearly first position) and then dress, because I guess these two are in the dress category... or in which category?
    5670AADE-A2C8-4F21-979F-44A3C45CC271.jpeg
    7482770C-188C-4C4F-B545-6089D5D1910C.jpeg

OttoWilliam, Aquagraph and kappa_md like this.
  20. Yago

Yago Jan 25, 2021

Racing first, dive second, the pilot is nice to have. Classics of the former two can function as dress in most occasions. Who still dresses up anyway?

OttoWilliam and kappa_md like this.