Aquagraph Sep 1, 2020

It looks Bamfordesque!

2. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Sep 1, 2020

Fixed it for you.

Aquagraph likes this.
  3. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Sep 2, 2020

Still think that this is the best Gulf-coloured watch that I have seen even though it has nothing to do with Gulf:

[​IMG]

Jim Dollares and Mspeedster like this.
  4. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 3, 2020

It's funny to see youtube watch gurus moaning about the Submariner getting bigger - because they've all convinced themselves that the big watch boom is over and watches are definitely getting smaller...

Anthony.R likes this.
  5. imagwai

imagwai Sep 3, 2020

I find it interesting that Rolex have decided to move their flagship model into a size bracket that means smaller-wristed people simply can't wear it any more. The older 40mm Subs you could get away with, but not the 40mm maxi case, and I suspect not the new 41mm case either. Once watches become too large, they become more showpieces/jewellery, rather than functional items and I don't like that kind of showiness.

Omega offer the Seamaster in both 36mm and 41mm variants, although increasingly, they seem to market their smaller models at women. At least Rolex are continuing with the 36mm Osyter Perpetual, although with the new dial colours, there are signs that that might also be moving towards being a unisex or women's watch now?

6. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 3, 2020

What's the point of having the new fancy Rolex if other people don't notice? 41 and 36 is a huge difference in size, plenty of people would fall in the middle where one is too big and one is too small I would think, and not many guys are going to wear those (awful) colours.

7. imagwai

imagwai Sep 3, 2020

Why would you want people to notice your Rolex? If you believe Paul Thorpe, then it's only a matter of time before someone rips it off your wrist at knifepoint.

And yes, you're right that 41 and 36 is a huge gap, and I can't quite believe they've got rid of the 39mm OP and replaced it with the 41, which is clearly way too large for a simple 3-hander watch. I'm not talking wrist size here, rather aesthetics and maintaining correct balance between case and dial.

As for the colours, I agree, they are a little gaudy. I mean I quite like some of them, but they're not going to go with every outfit for a start, so only any use as part of a multi-watch collection. The 36mm OP in sunray dark blue is very nice, but I don't like the double baton hour markers and honestly think the previous Explorer dial 36mm blue OP was superior. Also pleased to see they still do the Datejust in 36mm blue with plain bezel and oyster bracelet. One day maybe...

8. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 3, 2020

Ah yes the Cockney Geezer himself...

Hmm, don't really know what to say to that since I'm currently wearing a 43mm three hander F1 Senna... ;)

I know there's a history of those coloured dials, but they are a bit much... very much like chalk or paint, too solid I guess is the word to describe them. And they don't seem to go with the rest of the watch at all - and I'm not afraid of colour, I have a red SEL and a yellow A/Racer!

In the past I would have said no chance to anything under 37mm, but having got used to the classic F1s at 34mm... I'd still say no to anything under 37mm. But a friend of mine has very slender wrists and his 42mm Pelagos looks very big on him so I can see where you are coming from.

9. imagwai

imagwai Sep 3, 2020

That's different. It has a large bezel. Maybe I should have said dress watch?

Aquagraph likes this.
  10. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 3, 2020

11. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 3, 2020

Ah, I thought those watches were all 36mm, having watched this video it seems not.

12. kappa_md

kappa_md Sep 3, 2020

Can’t they see that people all over the world are getting “bigger” ?? :confused: Bigger meaning, heavier weight and larger waistline, obesity, diabetes, unhealthy even! And these are the ones that can afford Rolex :eek: Bow :rolleyes:

Aquagraph likes this.
  13. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 3, 2020

Rolex even made a watch just for them...
    [​IMG]
    Commonly known as the FAT BOY.

14. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Sep 3, 2020

Seeing live photos I think I really like the turqoise and yellow OP :oops:

15. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 3, 2020

[​IMG]

Albert-AMG and Hubert like this.
  16. Hubert

Hubert Sep 3, 2020

[​IMG]

Albert-AMG, Mspeedster and Aquagraph like this.
  17. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Sep 3, 2020

Sorry guys, either my taste is developing or I am retarded in the brain or something #dontkillmeplease

Hubert likes this.
  18. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 3, 2020

developing
    /dɪˈvɛləpɪŋ/
    growing and becoming more mature, advanced, or elaborate...
    :cautious:

Hubert and Jim Dollares like this.
  19. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 3, 2020

If you're going to go for it, you might as well go the whole hog...
    [​IMG]

RockBurner and Jim Dollares like this.
  20. imagwai

imagwai Sep 3, 2020

It would be a boring world if we all liked the same things. Anyway, I do actually quite like those colours, but can't see me actually buying one.

Jim Dollares likes this.