Forums Latest Auctions Members
  1. THJunkie

THJunkie Jul 10, 2020

Shame they changed the logo. New one looks a bit cartoonish. Old one was iconic.

2. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jul 11, 2020

The new logo is actually older than the old one. LOL
    They went back to the vintage "B" logo, which predates the "Schneider" wings. So if one is a fan of vintage Breitling from the 50's, 60's & 70's, it's iconic as well.

THJunkie likes this.
  3. THJunkie

THJunkie Jul 11, 2020

not generally a fan of their watches overall. Only really the Navitimer.

I read that the logo was similar to an older one they used. That era is well before my time so I have no knowledge of it. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a watch with it.

The modern navitimers without the wings just don’t look the same (to me, without the wings). I suppose those will become vintage with time as well. I don’t collect vintage watches though myself.

4. bdev

bdev Jul 11, 2020

I know this watch is not for all but it was so different from anything else I own I decided to buy it. Takes some getting used to.

Glycine Base 22.JPG

5. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Jul 11, 2020

Mmmm, reckon you’re right about getting used to it, but nice watch. Years ago my wife had a watch that worked anti-clockwise, you could people staring at the secondhand puzzled.

6. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jul 11, 2020

Ah, yes... and older is ALWAYS better. Abrod told me so.

Mspeedster likes this.
  7. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jul 11, 2020

I get what you mean about needing the wings on the Navitimer, they don't look right without the wings to me either. Even the vintage Navitimers had the AOPA wings or the double plane logo.

But aside from that, the B logo is like what the Heuer logo was prior to TAG. Interestingly, Breitling moved to the wings in the 80s, while TAG Heuer got it's new logo in the 80s as well. What's also interesting is that Heuer & Breitling partnered to develop the famed Calibre 11. So many of Breitling's watches from that era sport the B logo and the crown on the left.
    [​IMG]

I think Breitling went back to the B in part to say they're not only an aviation themed maker of watches. Similar to how TH doesn't only want to be associated with motorsports.

THJunkie likes this.
  8. THJunkie

THJunkie Jul 12, 2020

Thanks for the education. I did not realise they’d worked so closely together.

Mspeedster likes this.
  9. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jul 12, 2020

I just find the similarities to be fascinating. They're two very different companies with very different products, yet they've shared a kind of parallel history.

Heuer was founded in 1860, but due to the quartz crisis, Jack Heuer was forced to sell the company to TAG in the 80s. TAG saved Heuer and under TAG Heuer the brand was rejuvenated. Founded in 1886, the Breitling family was also forced to sell for the same reason and the Schneider family took over, which also revitalized Breitling. It was under Ernst Schneider that the wings logo was born. Both companies collaborated on Project 99 (i.e. Calibre 11), both have had other notable industry firsts, and both are strongly recognized as leaders in their associated field of Motorsports and Aviation.

Fun fact: both have had watches adorn James Bond's wrist; Breitling in Thunderball & TAG Heuer in The Living Daylights. Also, as we know, Rindt & Siffert wore the Heuer Autavia in the 60's, but perhaps less known to this forum is that Jim Clark & Graham Hill both wore the Breitling Navitimer.

10. kappa_md

kappa_md Jul 12, 2020

Great info about TAG Heuer x Breitling sir @Mspeedster :thumbsup:

Mspeedster likes this.
  11. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jul 14, 2020

I assume you must be very happy with the switch to the blue. :)
    I had a chance to see the blue dial in person and buy it if I wanted. It was really nice, but just didn't push hard enough on my "want" button. I still think I personally prefer the black dial better. But it's so similar to my Rolex Sub no-date, so I don't know, still thinking about it and many other watches out there...
    :whistling:

12. imagwai

imagwai Jul 14, 2020

Yes, still happy and wearing it right now on a rubber strap. Still miss the black, though.

Did you try the watch on? The sizing really hits the mark for all situations for me, and I still maintain there is no better value watch out there at the moment. What else can you buy with this level of finishing and quality, in-house movement and 70 hour power reserve?

13. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jul 14, 2020

I did try it in on. It hits that sweet spot related to size for me. Agree it's a great value for the money, if I didn't already have a Sub it would be a no brainer.

I thought the blue, which would be different, might appeal to me more in person but such was not the case. OTOH, the black dial BB58 looks just like the Sub, except for the gilt color and different hands. Very similar in size too, since my Rolex is an older pre-ceramic model. Hence, I'm still on the fence.

14. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jul 16, 2020

I was just watching this and I thought.... that looks like a TAG Heuer Calibre 1. And it turns out I was right!

15. whitecap

whitecap Jul 16, 2020

Maxi Swatch, limited edition !
    My 2 favorite characters together !

A484257A-4459-4595-B9B1-89BF04D3F72C.jpeg

16. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jul 17, 2020

What do you guys think about this?

17. imagwai

imagwai Jul 17, 2020

Don't like the watches personally but...

You've bought a watch, made a few changes to it, and then decide to sell it with full disclosure of what you have done, I don't really see the big issue in that. I can kind of see an issue with them using the Rolex logo and brand without permission.

18. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jul 17, 2020

Yes, I suspect the logo and name is the bigger issue.

19. THJunkie

THJunkie Jul 17, 2020

company protecting brand and trademark and not wanting to be associated with 3rd parties.

I’m more puzzled why this chap took the time to make the video tbh. He took a hell of a long time to waffle on without adding any real info other than an opinion and confession he didn't understand it.

evidently Rolex want a monopoly on creating the gaudy versions of their range.

:D

Aquagraph likes this.
  20. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jul 17, 2020

s-l1600 (1).jpg
    Call me crazy, but this is the coolest thing I've seen in ages! This is a ladies model, but it's 40mm! The men's version is 48mm. It looks funkier in white anyway... 40mm is fine. £1835 on eBay. :)