Forums Latest Auctions Members
  1. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Mar 4, 2020

LOL. The friend of your enemy is your enemy? :(

2. Hubert

Hubert Mar 4, 2020

If it were to materialize, it could be aligned to a Summer or Holiday-season release.

Mspeedster likes this.
  3. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Mar 4, 2020

What Kern is doing to Breitling brings up too many painful emotions. My eyes will water with tears from now on when I see your profile pic ;)

Ps, some of the re-editions actually look good but for me its like when you see a Renault that looks good, you hate yourself for it and would never admit to your friends that you had these thoughts

4. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Mar 4, 2020

Sounds very promising!

Hubert likes this.
  5. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Mar 4, 2020

I don't get it, what is it about Kern or Breitling that is so painful to you?

6. Ara

Ara Mar 4, 2020

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Hubert likes this.
  7. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Mar 4, 2020

Not too sure... but he really has a bee in his bonnet about it.:D Personally I used to like Breitling, but since they've decided to become completely 'retro' I care not one jot for them.

dtf and Mspeedster like this.
  8. Ara

Ara Mar 4, 2020

I'm chuckling because I used to dislike Breitling, but since they've decided to become "retro" they have my attention.

Mspeedster likes this.
  9. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Mar 4, 2020

LOL

I've always kind of liked Breitling, but thought their releases were getting quite stale, until Kern took over. I feel he's revitalizing Breitling in a way that should appeal to both the retro and non-retro crowd. Like @Ara, they have my attention. (Sorry that this causes you such grief brother Jim.)

The Navitimer '59 re-edition, Co-Pilot AVI '53 re-edition and this Bentley Mulliner have all caught my attention. I also like their recently released Aviator 8 B01 Mosquito.
    [​IMG]

Don't get me wrong, TAG Heuer is by far still my favorite brand. I'm just bored waiting to see what else TH will release this year. So no harm in internet window cross shopping. :)

dtf likes this.
  10. kappa_md

kappa_md Mar 4, 2020

This JH Carrera is slowly creeping into me :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Mspeedster likes this.
  11. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Mar 4, 2020

That looks quite nice but being one of the Bentley range it will be ruddy expensive.

Mspeedster likes this.
  12. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Mar 4, 2020

Such a nice watch. I must get one......

kappa_md and Mspeedster like this.
  13. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Mar 5, 2020

I know I sound dramatic but it felt like he killed everything that made me fall in love with Breitling, some examples being:

- He killed the just released amazing composite material "Breitlight", meaning that both the Hurricane and the Skyracer was gone

- He killed the just released Chronospace Evo B60

- The new Kern folding clasps have a noticeable difference in quality feeling compared to the previous ones, they are thinner and no longer has the amazing BREITLING PROFESSIONAL QUALITY super duper feeling like before. Just looking at comparison photos shows the difference

- Finishing in general has been going down for a longer time and Kern is taking things further with increasing prices and decreasing finish and materials chosen, apparently luxury is all about the brand and not about the product you hold in your hand feeling dissappointed with the feeling of a cheap watch compared to e.g. the Steelfish you have waiting at home.

- He killed the just released B60 movement and has a general negative attitude against quartz, for me quartz in some "professional instruments" from Breitling made so much sense compared to delicate mass produced mechanical movements

- He killed the Colt series

- He killed the Chronospace Evo chronographs e.g. the Chronospace Evo Night mission

- He killed all men's pieces in the Galactic line

- At first he announced that the Schneider logo would be all gone. I guess he realized his mistake and recently it was re-introduced in SuperOcean and now new Avenger models. However, the logo looks dull and not at all like white gold. Reason is of course that logo is no longer in white gold, now they use cheap brass.

- The legendary Chronomat line seems to be slowly dying. The ones introduced by Kern look retarded with the retro logo on the contemporary design of the Chronomat.

Well well, now I need to get back to work and keep on dreaming about Kern getting fired soon. Just look at IWC, they are finally on a good track now after he left ;)

Mspeedster and Aquagraph like this.
  14. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Mar 5, 2020

Sounds like he is rationalising too many product lines and models.

15. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Mar 5, 2020

You think? Have not counted how many lines there were in 2016 but my memory tells me Chronomat, Colt, Navitimer, SuperOcean, SuperOcean Heritage, Chronoliner, Transocean, Professional and Galactic which would be 10 in total. Kern's website shows the following

Navitimer
    Aviator 8
    Superocean Heritage
    Superocean
    Premier
    Avenger
    Chronomat
    Professional
    Galactic

So huge improvement and much clearer with 9 product lines instead of 10. Also, making the product portfolio less messy has nothing to do with decreased premium feeling, decreased finishing, cheaper materials and higher prices in my opinion.

Edit: I cant count, the ones I listed for 2016 sums up to 9 as well

16. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Mar 5, 2020

Just look at these real Breitlings from the good old days ::love:: (all photos stolen from internet)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Mar 5, 2020

I don't really go for Omega but this is nice.

Jim Dollares likes this.
  18. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Mar 5, 2020

Annotation 2020-03-05 121041.jpg
    Tried that on in the London boutique, loved it... but it was a bit out of my price range.

dtf and Jim Dollares like this.
  19. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Mar 5, 2020

I see, I appreciate the explanation and better understand why you feel this way. :)

I think you were a much bigger fan of Breitling than I was. Those watches that Kern killed never really did anything for me, so I didn't even notice they were gone. All I know is the new watches are getting my attention in a way that Breitling never did before, but that's me. :whistling:

I own a Navitimer from circa 2008, which I purchased as pre-owned around 2012. I can't say if the current Navitimer is of lesser quality because I haven't held one up close, and mine has a pin buckle not a folding clasp. But I think the new ones look nice. I did look at an Aviator 8 B01 Mosquito and the quality looked fine to me. I'm neutral about the logo change. The new one doesn't bother me nor does it excite me. I do miss the wings a little, but I also thought it looked kind of gaudy at times.

Ara and Jim Dollares like this.
  20. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Mar 5, 2020

Hmmmm, all pretty awful, IMO, so no loss.

Ara likes this.