Forums Latest Auctions Members
  1. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Sep 24, 2021

Of all the integrated models with this kind of looks, the Alpine Eagle is my favourite. The steel one with blue dial, stunner!

2. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 24, 2021

On the flip side, where is the incentive to increase production? As it stands they can basically make about the same number of watches a year forever, putting the prices up every year, without ever having to worry about lack of sales or fluctuations. They have the perfect situation and crucially I think, because they are a 'charity' or something, they don't feel the need to try and feck it up by expanding 3000% every year like most listed companies do.

3. imagwai

imagwai Sep 24, 2021

Oh, I agree with you there. Rolex can make as many or as few watches as they want. It's a big risk scaling up production and then demand falls. I'd do what they are doing. But I would implement a fairer system of allocating watches to customers.

thingziliketoo likes this.
  4. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 24, 2021

But to do that really they'd have to take control of distribution themselves. What other manufacturer interferes with who their 'customers' sell on to?

5. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Sep 24, 2021

I thought the comparison with the car industry was spot on. Why cant watch brands work as smoothly? All authorized car dealerships aint owned by the car manufacturer but still they manage to have a process where the customer is put in a global "waiting list" where the customer gets sort of regular updates about production. You get the email "We will now start production of your car, expected to be finished on date X", "Your car will now leave the factory for transport" and so on.

6. imagwai

imagwai Sep 24, 2021

There are bound to be issues to overcome when it comes to managing this, such as how to stop ADs using fake customer details, or how to stop someone getting all his relatives on the list, and so on. But there must be a way to ensure that a real valid person is ordering the watch, and that they are limited in how many of certain in demand pieces they can order.

7. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 24, 2021

Yeah but nobody is buying multiple cars to flip....

8. imagwai

imagwai Sep 24, 2021

Not yet. But used car prices are rising due to the supply problems. :)

Mind you, there's no petrol either at the moment, so that might put paid to that!

9. abrod520

abrod520 Sep 24, 2021

Jim Dollares likes this.
  10. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 24, 2021

Okay well then I was clearly wrong

11. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 27, 2021

12. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 28, 2021

Some very interesting info in this video. Especially about AP and Richard Mille buying back their own 'hot' pieces so they can sell them 'pre-owned' at 2-3 times the price!

13. bpsmith

bpsmith Sep 28, 2021

What’s the general feeling on Bremont? One has just stood out and intrigued as not a brand I have paid attention to?

Also, how about Breitling? Used to think they were epic looking, when I saw my boss’ purchase many years ago, but no idea how well made they are?

14. imagwai

imagwai Sep 28, 2021

Bremont make a nice watch. Probably don't get the respect they deserve from the watch community, not sure why. Probably because they don't have a long history (founded 2002), and British Made doesn't mean as much as Swiss Made these days. Probably won't get as much brand recognition as having a TAG or a Breitling on the wrist either, but that may not be important to you.

I'd say Breitling are probably on a par with TAG. Both are considered luxury watches and are very well made, but much nearer the shopping mall/mass market end than the haute horology end. Breitling have developed their "in-house" movements in tandem with Tudor, so you can find a version of the Tudor Black Bay 58 movement in certain Breitling watches, and a version of the Breitling chrono movement in the Tudor chrono.

Most would agree that Breitling are doing some interesting things these days. But for me, their signature piece has to be the Navitimer.

thingziliketoo and bpsmith like this.
  15. abrod520

abrod520 Sep 28, 2021

For me, it was all the gimmicks they used. Look, this watch has a tiny little piece of the Wright Brothers Flyer in it! And this one, we only sell to pilots who have ejected from their aircraft, but only if the ejector seat was made by a specific company!*

*both of these gimmicks are actual Bremont models, I am not making this up.

Plus, if you think TAG is asking too much for watches powered by cheapo SW200s and 7750s... try getting a load of Bremont's asking prices :eek:

16. bpsmith

bpsmith Sep 28, 2021

It was indeed the Navitimer that caught my eye recently @imagwai

imagwai likes this.
  17. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Sep 28, 2021

Bremont are way over-priced, full stop. They also handled an "in-house" movement debacle poorly.

Did I mention that they are over-priced?

Breitlings are just ugly, IMO.

18. bpsmith

bpsmith Sep 29, 2021

19. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 29, 2021

Listen to Archie Luxury, 'Bremont is a shitter brand'.

bpsmith and Jim Dollares like this.
  20. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Sep 29, 2021

Oh yes, Archie, the source of the ultimate truth in the watch world