Forums Latest Auctions Members

New TAG Heuer Autavia- live from Baselworld

1. imagwai

imagwai Jul 9, 2017

I only whinge about the size because I have a small wrist and most of what TH produces these days is simply too big for me. If I had a bigger wrist, I'd be all over the Monza and Autavia (although I still think the bezel looks too thick!)

2. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jul 9, 2017

Yes, it's bezel size, but I think the size font on the numbers also plays a significant role. The smaller markings on the JH 85 bezel help diminish the presence of the bezel and looks better to my eyes

IMG_2972.PNG

Hubert and imagwai like this.
  3. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jul 9, 2017

4. drunken monkey

drunken monkey Jul 12, 2017

I don't know if I missed it but does anyone have the lug to lug (length) measurement for the watch?

The Jack Heuer model is calling to me...

5. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jul 23, 2017

I don't unfortunately. I hope to have some news on the Autavia very soon ;)

6. calibre11user

calibre11user Jul 25, 2017

Really good in-depth review of the 2017 Autativa from one of the admins at Watchuseek.com.

Bluecat128 and Calibre11 like this.
  7. calibre11user

calibre11user Aug 23, 2017

Ablogtowatch video review of the Autavia.

8. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 23, 2017

Looks so much better without those big numbers... :thumbsup:

9. FlyDuc78

FlyDuc78 Sep 1, 2017

Hi Calibre11, do you know when they will release this watch? Or have I missed it already? I appreciate any information if you know. Thanks!

10. Hubert

Hubert Sep 1, 2017

Expected around November.

Calibre11 likes this.
  11. FlyDuc78

FlyDuc78 Sep 1, 2017

WOW that was fast - big thank you Hubert!

12. Hubert

Hubert Sep 4, 2017

13. Squadrone Rosso

Squadrone Rosso Oct 4, 2017

Good news. My local AD in Swansea can do me a bracelet for my Autavia.

£335 discounted to £268, much cheaper than I thought :)

Will be popping in on Friday to order it.

erich77 likes this.
  14. Gambba

Gambba Oct 5, 2017

I'm sure you've already found an answer but just in case here's Jack Heuer with your answer. :D

IMG_9342.JPG

50.44 mm

Calibre11 likes this.
  15. elbeik

elbeik Oct 5, 2017

16. Hubert

Hubert Oct 5, 2017

archer911carrera likes this.
  17. abrod520

abrod520 Oct 6, 2017

I still haven't made it to the mall to try to see one of these. I really should sometime, I just really don't like malls

18. abrod520

abrod520 Oct 6, 2017

Well, I had some free time today, so I decided the hell with it, let's take a walk down to the mall and see if I can check one out. Fortunately they had one in stock.

[​IMG]

On first impression (sitting there in the case), it looks enormous, much more like a Hublot-ed Autavia than the elegant 2446 it takes its design cues from. On the wrist, that impression is confirmed, but not in the way you'd expect - the front view is balanced diameter-wise, as you can see above; the thickness of the bezel really isn't bad as I originally feared. However - there's a strange depth to the watch. I think they actually placed the bezel above the dial, rather than around the crystal and dial as on a Speedmaster. The effect is revolting, like looking at the dial through a porthole. It feels as though the dial is about a yard / meter below the crystal through which you're looking at it.

The unfortunate effect of that is to visually and tangibly underline, in bold, italic font: this watch is thick. It just...sits there on your wrist, something that you've clearly stuck onto yourself - rather than molding to your arm and becoming a part of you:

[​IMG]

For comparison, here is a Speedmaster:

IMG_3099.JPG

I was unfortunately not able to try out the chronograph functions or anything like that, since it was still wrapped up in its plastic shipping protection, and I really still would like to play with one for a minute or two to get a feel for the Heuer-02 movement. Ultimately it doesn't matter much though - I really couldn't get this thing off my wrist fast enough. This is an "Autavia" in name only, made for the Alec Monopoly / Miami crowd that TAG has decided is its core market nowadays; I just find it repulsive.

There was one pleasant surprise though, which was the titanium Heuer-02T tourbillon. (Not in the looks department though! It's still one of the ugliest things I've ever seen in person, and I expect I'll have nightmares about it for a few nights) It was beautifully light-weight though, surprising given its dimensions and mass-produced movement. I've owned and/or handled a number of titanium watches and chronographs, and most were just barely perceptibly lighter than their steel counterparts. This one was really impressively light and at least weight-wise, feels like it would disappear on the wrist.

Hopefully TAG's design team discontinues their thrice-daily HGH dosing and realizes that the trend is currently moving towards smaller, slimmer, classically-designed watches again, because there really is some quality work being done on the engineering side.

19. imagwai

imagwai Oct 7, 2017

Hmm, this was my fear when I tried the Autavia on the other week also. I wanted to like it, but the thickness and overall shininess made it a bit conspicuous and blingy.

20. abrod520

abrod520 Oct 7, 2017

I was so disappointed - I'd been super excited about this watch ever since the first announcement of the Autavia Cup.

I guess it's a good thing though, since it won't compete for funding with the two Omega Trilogy watches that I'm saving up for.