Forums Latest Auctions Members

New TAG Heuer Autavia- live from Baselworld

1. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Mar 30, 2017

Even I can see the thinner bezel looks better. :thumbsup:

2. Big Adam

Big Adam Mar 30, 2017

And the new one should have been ceramic.

3. calibre11user

calibre11user Mar 30, 2017

This is not quite right. JC Biver is indeed a watch lover, and he has shown that he fully appreciates the start-of-the-art in mechanical watches. However, the key point is that he does not think TAG Heuer should be in that area. As the head of LVMH watches, he has been adamant in positioning TAG Heuer, Zenith, and Hublot in ascending order of pricing and sophistication. So if any of these companies are to produce a 1/100 chronograph in large numbers, it sure shouldn't be TAG Heuer. The one "high-end" mechanism made by TAG Heuer under Biver has been the Heuer-02T, and apparently that only made it to production because of its value as "the world's most inexpensive Swiss-made tourbillon".

4. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Mar 30, 2017

Indeed, this video makes things crystal clear!

erich77 likes this.
  5. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Mar 30, 2017

Let me rephrase what i mean a little better.
    What i am saying is that V4 and others are not his babies.
    Of course he will be interested in H02T and H01. It is his
    Could we see other inovation other than H02T ? Sure
    But will we see another V4 ? I dont know. I have big doubt about it

6. calibre11user

calibre11user Mar 31, 2017

The new Autavia made a lot of "best watches of Baselworld 2017" online lists with seemingly universal praise. Below are some highlights:

ABlogToWatch: Top 10 Watches of Baselworld 2017: A Trade Show at a Crossroads
    Designed in honor of early Heuer Autavia watches, the TAG Heuer 2017 Autavia Caliber Heuer 02 combines a design TAG Heuer collectors asked for with a movement they have been eagerly awaiting. The Heuer 02 was introduced, then delayed, and now reintroduced for the TAG Heuer Autavia, offering one of the best modern chronographs on the Swiss watch market (at these prices). The classic “panda dial” looks are a handsome crowd-pleaser, and fans of the brand will appreciate both the direct nod to history as well as to the tastes of the people buying the watches.

Gear Patrol: The Best Watches of Baselworld 2017
    What makes the Autavia different from other vintage reissues this year? It’s the only watch for enthusiasts, chosen by enthusiasts. Letting Heuer fans vote on which reference would make a comeback was an inspired move, and the payoff confirmed it. The reverse-panda dial scheme and black rotating bezel are sharp. Though vintage purists might scoff at the larger, thicker case size, inside ticks TAG’s latest movement: the Heuer 02, an in-house automatic chronograph with a 75-hour power reserve, a column wheel and a vertical clutch.

Men's Journal: Baselworld 2017's 16 Most Handsome Timepieces
    The Autavia, the legendary driver's chronograph created by Jack Heuer in the 1960s, is making a comeback in 2017 for the 55th anniversary. Faithful to its roots, the new Autavia still channels the spirit of the golden age of motor racing. As innovative as the original, this contemporary model is the result of a participative campaign called the "Autavia Cup" run in 2016: From a choice of 16 vintage models, more than 55,000 web users voted for a reissue of the Autavia "Rindt" worn by the famous F1 driver Jochen Rindt.

Esquire: The Best Watches From Baselworld 2017
    Last year TAG Heuer released its first crowd-selected watch, the Autavia. For 2017, the marque has released a series of elegant new takes on the family (with a larger 42mm case size) all featuring the new Heuer 02 movement and neat reverse panda sub dials.

Esquire: 14 Watches Worth Investing In from Baselworld 2017
    Crowdsourcing the details of the new Autavia Chronograph from the TAG Heuer collector fan base, the 2017 re-issue from 1960s original hits all the right notes. The 42mm dial with contemporary proportions is just the right size, and the black and white "panda" dial with the vintage leather strap couldn't look more modern.

T3: The best watches of Baselworld 2017
    TAG-Heuer is the Prince Harry of the watch world. Totally part of the establishment, but a teensy bit cheeky and sexy. But not illegitimate. No way. If you just want an attractive chronograph that won't respond to voice commands or have a really unattractive interface, or do all the other Android Wear stuff, this is your huckleberry. Originally designed for 'famous' F1 driver Jochen Rindt, this reboot is 42mm of white on black ('panda'), butch elegance.

Hodinkee: The Best Of Baselworld 2017, Day One
    It’s here. The new Autavia. The one chosen by you, the public, when TAG Heuer announced it would revive one of 16 first generation Autavias – the watchmaker’s iconic chronograph – and let online users vote for their favorite. The winner was the hugely popular Autavia Ref. 2446 with Mark Three dial, designed in 1966 and famously worn by Formula 1 champion Jochen Rindt. It beat out other popular three-register (ref. 2446) and two registers (reference 3646) models. And, now, here it is.

ABlogToWatch: A Mid-Show Roundup Of Some Baselworld 2017 Watches
    TAG Heuer Autavia Heuer 02 is a pretty special watch because it is actually the result of an online poll of TAG Heuer fans. TAG Heuer asked its fans what the new TAG Heuer Autavia should look like, which is a really cool thing. I can’t imagine some other brands doing the same. In any case, after a year or so of development, the new Autavia is finally here. It’s a handsome watch with vintage-inspired looks, but also important is its Heuer 02 movement, which is actually the ill-fated CH 80 from about three years ago. With its good looks and accessible price point, this watch is likely going to be one of TAG Heuer’s most popular for 2017.

Gentleman's Journal: Some of our favourite watches from Baselworld 2017
    A revival of their legendary chronograph from the 1960s, the Tag Heuer Autavia is making a return over a half a century after it’s original appearance. Blending the designs of aviation and motor racing (hence AUTomobile and AVIAtion) this piece may look retro, but its mechanics are anything but. Water resistant to 100m, the 2017 version has a hefty 80 hour power reserve and TAG Heuer’s Movement Heuer 02 Manufacture. Visually, we’re talking Rhodium-plated applique indices, with a polished and satin-finished top complete with beige SuperLuminova highlights. Suitably sophisticated.

Men's Health: WATCH THE THRONE: THE BEST PIECES FROM BASELWORLD 2017
    Tag Heuer’s big news came last Tuesday with the launch of their updated connected watch, the modular 45. Using Google’s android software and offering up to 4000 different ways to customize it, it’s a lot of watch for your money. In analog news, Tag have revamped their Autavia, a watch with motor racing pedigree, for its 55th anniversary. This particular model was originally worn by late F1 champion Jochen Rindt.

Departures: The Best Watches of Baselworld 2017
    First released in 1962, Tag Heuer’s motor racing–inspired Autavia is coveted by watch collectors and auto enthusiasts alike. This year it returns with a larger size (42mm) and new chronograph movement, while retaining it’s vintage appeal. This particular style is based on a 1966 model, which was chosen by Tag fans via an online poll Tag Heuer conducted last year.

CrownWatchBlog: Best Watches From Day 2
    There are many things to love about the Autavia, and one of the first moments that we fell hard was this time last year, when the brand launched an online competition to get fans to vote for the re-issue (out of 16 vintage designs) that they’d like best to have. Over 500,000 votes were cast for the watch, which was launched in 1962 as TAG Heuer’s first wrist chronograph. And the result is this remake inspired by a 1966 model worn by legendary Formula One driver Jochen Rindt. The reissue is almost identical, distinguished by a black bezel with hour markers, contrasting chronograph sub-dials, and plus-sized chronograph pushers. On closer inspection, one discovers subtle tweaks have been made to modernise the look. The bezel is broader, and the case size increased to 42mm from 39mm. The retro look, however, belies a modern engine – the in-house Heuer-02 automatic chronograph movement, a robust performer boasting a column wheel, vertical clutch and 80 hours of power reserve. Steel bracelet and leather strap options are available, and we are definitely leaning toward the latter for its sporty, throwback allure.

Automobile Magazine: Three New Chronographs from Baselworld 2017
    The new TAG Heuer Autavia is a landmark reference for the well-known brand – this was one of the first crowd-sourced releases from a major nameplate. TAG left it up to fans to vote on the reissued Autavia’s design, and in the end, the beloved Autavia Ref. 2446 made famous by F1 driver Jochen Rindt was the favorite.

Other recent articles about the Autavia:

D'Marge: TAG Heuer Revives a Timekeeping Icon in Aviation and Racing
    Week one of Baselworld 2017 might be done and dusted but one worthy unveiling that made our little hearts flutter this year was a truly spectacular piece from the TAG Heuer camp.

Worn & Wound: Heuer Brings Back a Classic: the Autavia Reissue
    The dial is a brilliant recreation as well. Simple applied indices, pointed rectangular hands, and three reverse-panda snailed subdials build up a classic chrono image, but it’s the details that really set the new Autavia apart.

Edited Mar 31, 2017
    automobilia42 and Hubert like this.
  7. Hubert

Hubert Mar 31, 2017

Nice list; thanks for putting this together! :thumbsup:

8. imagwai

imagwai Mar 31, 2017

Comments like this in articles annoy me slightly...I'm not a vintage purist, I just want a watch that will fit me :(

"Though vintage purists might scoff at the larger, thicker case size"

9. Hubert

Hubert Apr 1, 2017

10. Hubert

Hubert Apr 2, 2017

Another side by side picture posted by TH social media. On this one the proportions look much better, when compared to the previous picture.
    Post-FB-mars-duo-autavia (1).jpg

erich77 likes this.
  11. Hubert

Hubert Apr 3, 2017

12. drunken monkey

drunken monkey Apr 3, 2017

i) I can't help but shake that some of the WIS praise is purely down to the fact that it doesn't say TAGHeuer on the dial.

ii) I think the watch looks much better with the black on white (panda) dial and the GF style bracelet. The wrist shot photo Acejewellers put on instagram is hot.

Aquagraph likes this.
  13. Hubert

Hubert Apr 3, 2017

Yes, the Jack Heuer 85th edition is the better of the two without a doubt. I just wish it had "compressor" lugs, like the one we voted on during the AutaviaCup.

14. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Apr 4, 2017

Surely not.

15. BPD

BPD Apr 4, 2017

Just got a call from my AD and they said that the watch will be here by the end of the month. I'm the first in line however, I am still not completed sold on it. Don't get me wrong, I like the way it looks and all but I'm very particular on how I want my watches. There are two things that are stopping me from pulling the trigger, well actually one, the other other reason is really a nit pick.

First reason, the aluminum bezel. Like I have said in previous posts, I would like ceramic. I had aluminum bezels on previous watches and I can't stand them getting scratched. I know, scratches are part of life but if I can avoid them, I will try my best.

So question. It maybe way too early to know but anyone here have any insider info if the next Autavia release will have a ceramic bezel?

Second reason/nit pick. Why are they using the 'TAG Heuer' emblem on the rotor and not just 'Heuer'? I know they are proud to have their in-house movement in the watch but to stay consistent with their a heritage reissues, imo, 'Heuer' should only be used.

16. Hubert

Hubert Apr 4, 2017

Doubt ceramic will make it to the Autavia in the foreseeable future.

My guess is that they are reusing the movements that were previously created prior the CH80 being mothballed.

17. BPD

BPD Apr 4, 2017

That is just painful to hear....::facepalm2::

18. abrod520

abrod520 Apr 4, 2017

Then why didn't WIS praise these the same way?

[​IMG]

:thumbsdown:

19. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Apr 4, 2017

So the bottomline, i am curious, how many of us here will pull trigger on autavia ?

I know i will. But i might wait to get the JH edition first, and if i cant then my option is the normal one with leather strap.

20. drunken monkey

drunken monkey Apr 4, 2017

They did when it was just the Jack Heuer 80th.
    These two flew under the radar and not being readily available on the grey market meant limited "press" as it were as actual owners were few and far between. I can only readily think if one owner...