1. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 16, 2020 2:31am

Apparently TAG Heuer (or more likely Goldsmiths / Watches of Switzerland) have opened a new boutique in Leicester (which is pretty close to where I live). I do wonder if they aren't getting a bit carried away with this... I worry they are going to end up like Pandora - everywhere and then overstretched!

2. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG Sep 16, 2020 3:40am

I hope you attend the inauguration, and that you post pictures here and on your blog ;) ::popcorn::

dtf likes this.
  3. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 16, 2020 3:51am

I think it opened yesterday.... according to Farcebook

4. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG Sep 16, 2020 4:12am

Just pictures from the new boutique then... not from the inauguration! :D

5. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Sep 16, 2020 4:01pm

Please explain

6. Hubert

Hubert Sep 16, 2020 4:26pm

And you were not invited to cut the ribbon!?

7. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 16, 2020 4:26pm

Well, I just think they are popping up a bit too much now. There's one in Manchester (fair enough that's a big city) one in Birmingham (the 2nd biggest city in the UK) about four in and around London, one in Nottingham and now one in Leicester... Leicester and Nottingham are only separated by one town - I know the UK is a big market for TAG Heuer, but I fear they are just splitting the sales. I guess they probably aren't actually TAG Heuer boutiques, they are shops run by Goldsmiths/Watches of Switerland to sell TAG Heuer... but it seems crazy in these difficult times to be opening bricks and mortar stores.
    On the other hand, I applaud them for it - the great internet watch sales revolution really isn't half as big a deal as people make it out to be. Did you know esales account for 8% of Richemont sales. And they own Watchfinder, which I would have thought was a big e-seller..

Jim Dollares likes this.
  8. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 16, 2020 4:27pm

No, they are fools one and all.:D

Hubert likes this.
  9. kappa_md

kappa_md Sep 16, 2020 7:44pm

You should be the guest of honor @Aquagraph !!! :thumbsup:

You probably know more about TAG Heuer than anyone of them combined! :D

The upward sales despite the pandemic may have prompted them to rethink and open up more shops is my best guess ;)

Calibre11 likes this.
  10. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Sep 16, 2020 9:00pm

Here in Melbourne city, there is only one AD left- rest of the market is covered by the boutiques. Even outside the CBD, the number of dealers is being reduced.

I think the good ADs will survive and do OK, but the more generic sellers who don't provide excellent, local service are done.

Anthony.R likes this.
  11. Hubert

Hubert Sep 16, 2020 9:19pm

This appears to be the new global strategy. My AD in the US explained they are currently having a hard time getting new releases.

12. kappa_md

kappa_md Sep 16, 2020 9:53pm

Interesting development. If TAG Heuer Boutique can position their pricing better or at par with an AD, then it will be wise to get your watches from the boutiques IMHO.

13. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Sep 16, 2020 11:06pm

well in my country, the boutique is owned by the selected distributor (a distributor, mind you.).

i guess one of the requirement to be Tag Heuer distributor was to open an exclusive Tag Heuer boutique (many of em, i must say)

but it doesn't guarantee better price as it is like "monopoly" for lack of better term.

i often envy how much better price i can get for Tag Heuer in a "hub-like" cities like Singapore, Hongkong, Dubai etc compare to my own country.

Anthony.R and Jim Dollares like this.
  14. Anthony.R

Anthony.R Sep 17, 2020 12:38am

Agree 100%.
    I got my H01 Carrera from KL AD for 2k cheaper than I could get in my home town of Melbourne.
    Singapore was not too much different to KL for pricing back then.
    When I was in Singapore last year I noticed that the pricing was very close to Australia.

OttoWilliam likes this.
  15. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Sep 17, 2020 1:05am

Not only that but the Watchfinder stores are currently closed so you can only buy online!

16. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 17, 2020 2:35am

Good point!

17. THJunkie

THJunkie Sep 19, 2020 8:34pm

In the UK you can probably find multiple places selling TH in most large towns. Cities will have 10+ locations (mostly ADs). Tag is probably the most oversaturated quality brand in the market. You can literally buy them anywhere!

they’ll have to ramp up the number of Boutiques before reducing the number of outlets selling as well. So @Aquagraph (so address your point of saturation) - i expect this is their plan. But they can’t dramatically cut back on ADs until they have more Boutiques (which kets face it sell the same thing with the more expensive decoration! All part of the move to ‘go upmarket’. So ultimately the number of bricks and mortar outlets will go down (way down). They’ll likely cut back production too at some point I expect. Otherwise who in their right mind will pay the premiums at the Boutiques? Unless there’s no other choice?