My Wife Caught Me Buying Another Watch

1. archer911carrera

archer911carrera Oct 5, 2017

I ordered a watch from Germany last week and foolishly used my land line instead of my cell number on the order form. Well today Fedex called because they needed information for U.S. Customs purposes. Unfortunately my wife answered the phone and the FEDEX woman spilled the beans. Damnit!

I can usually intercept the delivery truck before it gets to the front door and sneak the watch into the garage. Not this time.

She's really great about my obsession but sometimes it's fun being a bit secretive.

Don't make the same mistake I did ; - /

2. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Oct 5, 2017

Cool...but we are as curious as your wife what is this mysterious watch will be :)

Picture please !

3. elbeik

elbeik Oct 6, 2017

Tell me about it.
    My hobbies also include scale model cars and Star Wars figurines.
    It's one thing to smuggle a watch, and another larger boxes...

SteveP likes this.
  4. Hubert

Hubert Oct 6, 2017

You should post your scale models on the Garage forum!

5. elbeik

elbeik Oct 6, 2017

6. Gambba

Gambba Oct 6, 2017

I announced at the Heuer Globetrotter opening on camera that I'd bought another Heuer. I thought at least in public and on camera she couldn't kill me....immediately at least!

I'm always wondering how much information I should share regarding cars and watches with her.

7. archer911carrera

archer911carrera Oct 6, 2017

The watch is being held up in customs. I had to fill out a "Watch Worksheet" with all details about the watch including a breakdown cost of the movement, case, bracelet, etc. WHAT? I put down the price I paid (which they had because of the commercial invoice) but question marks about individual components costs. If I'm lucky I'll get it next week.

Picture to follow...

8. elbeik

elbeik Oct 7, 2017

Whenever I sell watches on the bay and call Fedex, I have to fill a watch information sheet breaking down the elements as you mention.
    Number of jewels, country of manufacture etc..

9. abrod520

abrod520 Oct 7, 2017

Check out ParcelPro. Ship w/same companies but better insurance, a lot less hassle etc

10. elbeik

elbeik Oct 7, 2017

Not available where I am, in KSA.
    It would have been ideal.

11. MRC

MRC Oct 7, 2017

Reminds me of hassle with US Customs when I lived there. A 2400' reel of computer tape (1978 calling here) and they wanted to charge me per foot -- until I pointed out that it clearly was used tape, not new. That was no charge and they didn't ask what was on the tape. Only the latest version of a computer program we asked over $6 million for.

Another time, colour displays were almost unknown but people at the base in England had modified a TV set to act as a display. That took a lot of arguing too, despite the wires hanging out of the back. What finally clinched its passage through customs was that it ran on 240 Volts. Sadly the box had COLOUR TV on every side and it was gone the next morning. Telex base "Can we have another, and a 110-240 transformer too please."

Mike

12. MrJKLFoams

MrJKLFoams Oct 8, 2017

Same here I tried to hide bank statements but my bank keeps on sending via mail even I changed it to email only. Lucky my wife didn’t bother to open those envelopes. Lol