Forums Latest Auctions Members

Monaco CAW2114 (“black and red”) - is it an UFO?

1. paysdoufs

paysdoufs Apr 26, 2020

Greetings,

A more or less lucky owner of a Carrera Cal.16 (CV2011), this is my first post on this forum. So apologies if I am violating any untold etiquette...

Also apologies for my question as such, but I really spent some time researching around reference CAW2114 (including on this platform), but w/o much success.

EDIT: Did eventually find the nickname “Black McQueen” (but that's about it): https://www.calibre11.com/tag-heuer-monaco-range/

[​IMG]

The CAW2114 (= the Monaco Cal.12 variant with a black dial, but with more red accents then its sunray blue sibling) seems to be from the early- to mid-2010s (I checked the PDF catalogues uploaded here, but didn't find it) and technically no different from the blue Cal.12. What I am wondering is:
    1 - given its relative scarcity, was that a limited production run (of any kind)?
    2 - does the dial have a flat or a sunray finish?
    3 - does the black dial make the Monaco “wear (visually) smaller” - as is often the case with black dials?

Tks in advance & happy confined Sunday :)

Edited Apr 26, 2020
    Albert-AMG likes this.
  2. abrod520

abrod520 Apr 26, 2020

Give Google Images a shot, maybe you can find some "in the metal" wrist photos from owners or reviewers. I don't recall this being a limited edition, but the Monacos don't always sell well in colorways other than the classic blue, so they may have stopped making it after a short run.

As for visual size, in my experience the sides of the case around the dial are thick enough to negate any difference in visual size. It's a large watch, but not so much that it feels too large.

paysdoufs likes this.
  3. Hubert

Hubert Apr 26, 2020

4. kappa_md

kappa_md Apr 26, 2020

Hi! I also researched on it before. I’ve read an article calling it the “Black McQueen” I think it is not a limited edition. Yes the Blue Dial Calibre11 Monaco is really the more popular due to SMQ & pedigree. And probably only a few can appreciate the black dial one (no sunray effect). After getting a Steve McQueen Monaco (CAW211P), i decided i wanted to get a different Monaco which is a bit modern, has the classic looks with a different calibre movement, but also keeping it distinct (black dial) yet still unmistakably a Monaco! Similarities are the size 39mm, square case, panda & automatic. Differences would be Calibre 11 x Calibre 12 (crown pusher placement), blue dial x black dial, Heuer x TAG Heuer logo. There are a few other black dial Monacos around. The two ACM versions, the French Edition Calibre11, the Bamford verison, and also one/two of the 50th Anniversarry are in black dials. HTH sir :thumbsup:

Side by side with my TH Carrera 1887 43mm ;)
    0987A1F9-26CD-483C-AA79-94017D2E410A.jpeg

5. kappa_md

kappa_md Apr 26, 2020

6. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Apr 27, 2020

Hi- and welcome aboard.

No, not a limited run, but part of the core collection. I think your other questions have been covered off- I like this one, and think it looks great on the rubber strap. Good luck :thumbsup:

paysdoufs likes this.
  7. paysdoufs

paysdoufs Apr 27, 2020

Tks guys. All of this is really helpful ::book::
    Waiting for a potential seller's answers to decide if I should pull the trigger...

Yes - it’s not the typical SMQ livery, but I think it easily holds its own compared to the “classical” blue Monaco Cal.12 thanks to the additional splashes of red. Also, I somehow feel that the Cal.12-typical circular arrangement of the indices works particularly well on the flat black dial.

Edited May 13, 2020
    kappa_md likes this.
  8. paysdoufs

paysdoufs May 13, 2020

Tks again, guys - inching closer to the buy (just a couple more weeks).

I was just wondering whether anyone has some experience with the replacement straps for Monacos from WatchStrapWorld in the UK. I know them from my Carrera (in 20/18mm) and quite like their quality and price point.

So I imagine that they are probably just as good in 22/18mm for the Monaco... (?)

9. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange May 13, 2020

I have one that is fine. It probably measures 21.5mm across so there is a tiny bit of 'play' at the lugs but nothing to worry about.

10. paysdoufs

paysdoufs May 14, 2020

Tks. I think a quarter mm of “play” is quite acceptable given the price requested... ;)

11. paysdoufs

paysdoufs Jun 1, 2020

Picked mine up yesterday! Definitely a nice variant and all I hoped it would be. The watch is clearly not a safe queen but has been worn and loved on a fairly regular basis - but the price took that into account... So overall very happy with my purchase :thumbsup:

(NB: “Lag” of minute hand vs. small seconds is about 30sec - so pretty much as expected for a modular chrono and easy to adjust for.)

019089B0-A3C5-4876-98AE-02519D8198C7.jpeg

12. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Jun 1, 2020

Glad to see you got it, congrats! :)

13. paysdoufs

paysdoufs Jun 2, 2020

I even still found a relatively well matching (Hirsch “Performance”) 22mm strap in my strap box: 8D94E7B2-81A4-4687-A1E9-7F8F966DDF18.jpeg

The only thing I just found out, and which saddens my a little bit, is that even with a relatively high-grade modular chronograph (with vertical clutch), such as the Monaco, starting/stopping the chrono DOES make the main minute hand “jump” a little...

I have seen that in the past with Valjoux/Cal.16 chronos, but I have also seen that some brands modifying their ebauche movements succeed in suppressing this effect.

Jim Dollares likes this.
  14. paysdoufs

paysdoufs Jun 4, 2020

As usual - black watch looking good on all kind of straps... :)
    D37BEAE9-F124-40F6-AF4D-DA76225EE758.jpeg

Albert-AMG, kappa_md and Jim Dollares like this.
  15. kappa_md

kappa_md Jun 4, 2020

Black McQueen :cool::cool::cool:

Congrats sir! Very timely! ;)