Live from Basel- Through the Looking Glass...

1. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Mar 23, 2017

But these are people whose idea of a radical new look is a piece of red text on the dial...

Jean Claude is correct, it's not Blancpain or Piaget, there's enough 'dull' watches in the world, who else makes watches like TAG for the money? The only real competition is Breitling.

Biver also clearly stated that the brand must attract a younger audience, his job after all is to ensure the continued success of the brand, and he's not going to do that by selling a couple of thousand Monzas.

2. elbeik

elbeik Mar 23, 2017

I would suggest checking Bell & Ross, Bremont, Oris, Sinn and even Omega whom are adding variety to the "boring scene".
    Not all Omegas are Speedmasters by the way.

Breitling? I haven't seen much evolution for the past decades..

3. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Mar 23, 2017

4. elbeik

elbeik Mar 23, 2017

Red accents?

5. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Mar 23, 2017

Well I thought it looked quite modern and TAGy. No doubt the Avenger came out in the 60s like everything that's any good... :taunt:

6. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Mar 23, 2017

That breitling monster is 49mm by the way if i am not mistaken

7. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Mar 23, 2017

Blimey, too big then. 45mm is big enough for me.

8. elbeik

elbeik Mar 23, 2017

Hey, @Hubert , you were looking for a compression case?
    [​IMG]

You'd be amazed at the prize as well.

erich77 likes this.
  9. erich77

erich77 Mar 23, 2017

thanks for sharing- I feel like I was there (haha!)

formula 1 blue dial, senna heuer 01 !

looking good

10. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Mar 23, 2017

In my spare time...

11. erich77

erich77 Mar 23, 2017

I get the feeling that JCB is genuinely having a great time at TAG Heuer- really like what they are doing now on all fronts.

12. Hubert

Hubert Mar 23, 2017

Yeah thanks; Sinn makes them, someone reference this way back when we were doing the Autavia Cup. Nice looking watch. Thanks!

13. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Mar 23, 2017

Take cover, incoming Heuer attack!!!!::popcorn::

erich77 likes this.
  14. BPD

BPD Mar 23, 2017

Yea, I guess it is what it is. However, the only thing I wish for before I hit the bucket is for the brand to align itself somehow. Something like this, which I kind of posted something similar last year.

Heuer
    -all pre-TAG models
    -limit production on each model yearly ie. 2017 = 1000 Autavias, 2017 = 1000 Monzas etc
    -in house movements only

TAG Heuer
    -all models created after the TAG buyout
    -unlimited production or according to market demand
    -third party movements to keep prices down

Marketing slogans can go something like this:

Heuer = Honor the Past
    TAG Heuer = Embrace the Future

As you can see, I'm a bit bored at work today....

OttoWilliam likes this.
  15. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Mar 23, 2017

Okay, well I asked... so all the Carreras would then be Heuer, what will we do with the Heuer 01?

16. BPD

BPD Mar 23, 2017

Yea, guess I was thinking about a new potential cool ambassador that TAG could hire and got none other than CANADIAN ICON Justin Bieber, the Biebs himself confused with Mr. Biver.

What a minute, I think Biver would love the Biebs!

upload_2017-3-23_13-15-31.jpeg

upload_2017-3-23_13-16-26.jpeg

dc42 and Hubert like this.
  17. BPD

BPD Mar 23, 2017

IMO the poor Carrera line has been beaten to death as you can see from the 120 different models/variations that TAG has. Too we can't go back in time and stop this from ever happening.

18. Hubert

Hubert Mar 23, 2017

upload_2017-3-23_11-28-59.png

19. BPD

BPD Mar 23, 2017

Hubert likes this.
  20. abrod520

abrod520 Mar 23, 2017

Well as I've gone to bed and now got up, it looks like @BPD has come up with quite an interesting idea here. Not far from what I'd say myself... Quite like the taglines too.

If it were me, I would at the very least separate the Carrera, Monaco and Autavia lines and return them to their original intended elegance. The Carrera line should not include any watches with external bezels as that was always the province of the Autavia. Look at the current Carrera lineup - how should consumers know what it is when there are elegant 3-hander dress watches with the same name as the 45mm tuna-can Heuer-01? It dilutes what was once a very strong brand

What of the Heuer-01 then indeed? Well, call it an Autavia - it certainly resembles one much more than a Carrera. A quick change to the lugs, from the bastardized versions of the classic Carrera's to the much-desired compressor case lugs, et voila. Pleases those who like the Heuer-01 now, and pleases those who were disappointed in the Autavia reissue's earlier lug design.

As for the Autavia reissue, it's similar enough based on bezel design to indeed share the lineup with the Heuer-01, and could be called the Autavia Heritage or whatnot. See Jaeger-LeCoultre's Master Compressor lineup; it includes their contemporarily-designed sports chronographs with their more elegant-yet-sporty Deep Sea Chronograph models.

Before I respond I would like to say that throughout this discussion I have taken care not to make assumptions about you and your affinity for TAG Heuer and would appreciate it if you would afford me the same respect. Now-

The argument that TAG Heuers or any other mechanical watch are serious instruments anymore is rather bizarre itself - your smartphone tells time better than any mechanical watch ever could, has a stopwatch mechanism that measures split times to a degree of accuracy that renders TAG's mechanical chronographs useless, even the haute horlogerie models as cool as they may be. (As to the Microtimer, I will respectfully say that a quartz watch, much less a digital one, cannot be discussed in the same terms as mechanical watches.)

These days, watches are purchased mainly for the style, and brands are chosen for the lifestyles and images they evoke. Mechanical watches are at their heart a nostalgic purchase for the reasons above, and a strong brand identity is what people will ultimately look for. Heuer used to be the go-to watch for automobile racing and in some cases aviation, and TAG purchased Heuer partially because of that - remember, Techniques d'Avant Garde used to be a manufacturer of high-performance aviation and motorsport componentry. In fact, your Microtimer comes from a very impressive lineage of TAG Heuer's professional electronic timing equipment, once used by the likes of Formula 1. Yes, even well into the quartz age, TAG Heuer was indeed innovating on the cutting edge of digital timing equipment.

Nowadays, TAG Heuer is no longer very well associated with motorsport, and is now more the Millennial brand. If they think millennials like something, they will plaster their name all over it - Alec Monopoly, Bella Hadid, Cara Delevignge, Gran Turismo. There are those who don't care about this, sure... but those same people won't care to buy another TAG Heuer once they perhaps begin making a bit more money, and are ready to spend more than $5000 on a watch.

Finally, to address your point about TAG Heuer movements. I have no issue with TAG Heuer's in-house movements, haven't heard of any reliability issues etc and my problem lies not with the movements themselves, but the watch designs they're installed in. In fact I think you may be overstating the importance of TAG's in-house movements, as their competitors all have their own designs with more being developed every day. Tudor, for instance, has begun rolling out in-house movements across most of its range and just introduced an in-house column wheel chronograph movement that will be sold for around $5000 - and will be shared with Breitling. Omega (yes, once again) has its own whole line of in-house movements, from 3-handers to chronographs, at a number of price points. I would not consider TAG Heuer's use of in-house movements to be a differentiator at all, much less a major one. (Nevermind that to the casual purchaser, TAG's Heuer-01 / 1887 movement appears to be the same as the ETA 7750 they use in the very same Carrera lineup, at a much lower price point)