If you were going to buy your first TAG...

1. PhillipDB

PhillipDB Nov 21, 2019

Hello All!!

I have been following this forum for a few months now as I have been doing research on buying my first Tag watch.

My motivation is purely from seeing my dads growing up...which he has annoyingly lost and he cant remember the model but from memory it was a Link version. More recently I had a housemate who had a Grand Carrera his father gave him for his 21st which reignited my interest in my buying one. I have just moved to the UK where the options are endless compared to the other side of the world where I was....the land of the long white cloud.

I am have been toying with the idea of buying a brand new one of either:
    - Carrera @ ~£3,300..!
    - Aquaracer @ ~£1,850

but then, thank you to everyone on here I started looking at the second hand market to find something with more history and 'meaning'. I find myself spending all day at work researching..

I am especially loving the designs of following which I have come across on here:
    - Rake edition Carrera..but too expensive
    - Very simple, and apparently rare? Carrera. @ £1,250.
    - Temporada - Although I cannot find any online this cheap and cool!
    - Also love Autavia's but can be a bit out of £ range.

At this stage I not looking at links or Monoco's.

So my question to you all is if you were looking for your first TAG with a budgetted max of realistically £2,500...what would you go for (not restricted to the above links)?

Have I missed any unique models or auction sites you think I should bookmark?

I appreciate your help on this final hurdle before I join the club! :)

2. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Nov 21, 2019

I would go for the wv5111, that one is on my list of must have some day

PhillipDB and imagwai like this.
  3. imagwai

imagwai Nov 21, 2019

Owning a vintage watch is a slightly different proposition to a more modern one, so I think the first thing you need to decide is that. If going vintage, I would look for a nice condition Autavia Viceroy - they're at the cheaper end, and plenty about. With a vintage watch, condition is everything, so go for the best you can, even if you have to stretch the budget. It likely won't lose any value if you look after it.

I would ignore that "rare" quartz Carrera if I were you. Being quartz, it's of less interest to collectors, despite it's apparent rarity.

If going more modern, then you pretty much have the choice of the entire range. The recent F1 and Aquaracer line has taken a step up in quality I believe and there's plenty of choice of styles.

Or you could split the difference - despite prices rising a little recently, the Carrera re-edition range is still undervalued in my opinion. Possibly the 36mm size puts some people off, but you are getting a very faithful re-edition of the original 1964 Carrera, with a superb manual wind chronograph movement in it - a Lemania 1873 and very closely related to what you get in the Omega Speedmaster. Heuer logo and plexi crystal completes the look. Search model numbers CS3110, CS3111 and CS3113. Or if you want to go bigger, look at the CV3113 and CV3110, although they're automatics/sapphire and carry the Tag logo.

Yago and PhillipDB like this.
  4. imagwai

imagwai Nov 21, 2019

Very nice watch. I have thought about this one too on several occasions. Price is great, but the fact it is a 3-hand Carrera puts me off slightly.

Edited Nov 21, 2019
    Jim Dollares likes this.
  5. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Nov 21, 2019

Yes but there is something about it how they managed to make it so very Carrera even though it is a 3 hander

dtf likes this.
  6. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Nov 21, 2019

+1 on early Carrera re-editions. The manual wind might put some people off, but it's also kind of fun winding your watch daily.

If going for an automatic, I like the 40th Anniversary Carrera Jack Heuer LE, ref. CV2117.

PhillipDB and Jim Dollares like this.
  7. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Nov 22, 2019

I would be looking at a 41mm Carrera 1887.

PhillipDB likes this.
  8. PhillipDB

PhillipDB Nov 22, 2019

Thank you all, I think I have definitely set my mind on a vintage rather than a new. The appeal of history really takes my fancy. Not so fussed with any increase in value but the thought that it is special is good.

I have saved all of your recommendations to my tracking spreadsheet (haha) and will continue the search. Good news is that the budget gets bigger the longer I wait ;)

9. kappa_md

kappa_md Nov 22, 2019

My first TAG Heuer are Formula1 & Aquaracer chronographs. Good entry points for swiss watches & TAG Heuer in general. BTW, both are still running amazingly well in their 10th year. ;)

TAG Heuer & Heuer in itself has ALOT of history especially in motorsports. It’s good to set a budget and then choose one that “talks” to you. It’s the “emotional” investment and not just the “price” that gives more meaningful value IMHO. Nice fine swiss watches are things you want to take good care of so you can enjoy it until you pass it on to a family or friend later on. :)

The so called “triumvirate” series of Heuer would be the Carrera, Autavia and Monaco. Very rich in history & meaning to most watch enthusiasts not just for Heuer/TAG Heuer fans. HTH :thumbsup:

Albert-AMG likes this.
  10. Gambba

Gambba Nov 26, 2019

I love my WV5111, but got to be honest and say if a new CV5111 were available at the same time I’d have taken it instead as prefer the balance of the dials. But the WV5111 still looks fantastic on the wrist.

33B93881-BF51-440F-93F7-334069673F3E.jpeg

11. Gambba

Gambba Nov 26, 2019

@PhillipDB plenty of cool vintage Heuer watches out there. An 844 diver is cool because it saved Heuer in the early 80’s and is a very relevant size at 42mm even today. The coolest model in my eyes is the 844 Monnin from 1979, which has 24h markings in red on the dial and cathedral hands.

@imagwai makes a great suggestion in the Autavia Viceroy. Has the history of the Autavia combined with a sales campaign for viceroy cigarettes. If I didn’t have an Autavia then it would be the one if look at, especially as you could frame the advert and stock it on the wall.

There’s some proper oddball watches from the 70’s and 80’s that Heuer made so I’d suggest looking through catalogues as you may find a model that appeals to you that’s less mainstream and therefore slightly more affordable.
    I’ve got quite a few different models, all of which have their own appeal to me. My 1529 is one of my favourites because of its fume (brownish) dial, which is the same colour found on the 1614 and the one of the Silverstones.

06A22C57-31BD-496B-837F-84449C9B771D.jpeg

12. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Nov 26, 2019

You know that I am first on your list of buyers in case you decide to sell ;) actually tried to buy it a month ago or so but the grey market dealers could not source one

13. imagwai

imagwai Nov 26, 2019

Jim Dollares likes this.
  14. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Nov 26, 2019

WV5111 is one of my all time favorite.
    The only thing that can make sell my WV5111 is probably if they release all similar theme but different color like black or green. Blue will always be my third favorite color.

That being said, it is a great watch. I always enjoy wearing it.

Jim Dollares likes this.
  15. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Nov 26, 2019

I live in Sweden so my criteria are 1) must be within EU to avoid the government stealing 25% as "import tax" 2) must be one of the few grey market dealers I trust, for example the German dealer named Watchmaster with 85 reviews on C24 would never get my money 3) I dont trust random private sellers online, people are bad and the world is full of criminal assholes with bad intentions so I would never take that risk

dtf likes this.
  16. imagwai

imagwai Nov 27, 2019

Fair enough, although it really limits your ability to get hold of the watch you want I guess. You know Chrono24 hold your money in Escrow and it doesn't get released to the seller till the watch arrives and you click the button to say you're happy? Also, some of the best deals I've done have been with established forum sellers (some of them face to face, but many just over email). If, say, you buy from someone on Omega Forums or Watchuseek, you can check out their feedback in the feedback forum first. Have a look at mine for an example!

dtf and Jim Dollares like this.
  17. heuer1860

heuer1860 Nov 27, 2019

Hi @PhillipDB from a fellow Kiwi.
    Sounds like a lot of fun, searching out your first watch.
    First bit of advice is take your time, as the search is half the fun.
    An important question- How big are your wrists? Are you one those kiwis that lives on Mince and Cheese pies ( I may be in that group) or the other sort who have Kiwifruit for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
    As my wife often says "Size is everything" especially when choosing a watch. In fact she never says that- She just looks disappointed , whether it be in the bedroom or when I bring home "Another bloody watch !!!"
    My advice- go into your local TH store and try on a number of watches of different sizes first to get feel for what size you want.
    If you have large wrists, you'll regret getting a watch too small so take some care there.
    This comes from experience, my first tag was a Monza re-edition CR2110. Back then it was just right on my wrist, alas today with age and too many Mince and Cheese pies, it has shrunk. Still one of the cleanest most beautiful (and underrated) re-editons ever made in my opinion and I will never part with it. I figure when I'm 89 and wilting away in my Porsche design wheel chair, it will fit me again.

Good luck- ask lots of questions here because there is a wealth of experience from the members, and our illustrious leader David.

PS - if you are a Kiwifruit eating New Zealander now, statistics say that you are very likely to eat a pie or two or three over the next few years, so think about the future potential "swelling" factor when choosing the size of your new time piece.

18. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 27, 2019

This is an interesting question, my take on it would be... if I knew that over the next few years I would spend about £15,000 on watches would I have bought two or three expensive ones or carried on as I was?

Answer: Don't know.

dtf likes this.
  19. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Nov 27, 2019

I dont think you would have had as much fun buying 2-3 watches instead of the 500+ watches you have bought during 2019 :D

dtf and Mspeedster like this.
  20. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 27, 2019

True, but everyone starts thinking they are going to buy one watch, just like PhillipDB... and we all know how it goes.

Jim Dollares and Mspeedster like this.