1. Maro

Maro Nov 2, 2018

Hi Forum!
    I have a Heuer Jarama circa 1979, high emotional value, as it was from my late father.
    I just had it refurbished to new condition by Tag Heuer Switzerland - They took 7 months and 2,000 Dollars!!
    My problem>>> if I don't use it all the time, it stops in a day or two.
    Can you recommend how to use a winding box for this Caliber 12 watch in a way that does not harm the movement?
    1. Number of turns per day?
    2. Clockwise, counterclockwise or both?
    3. Any winding boxes you may recommend?
    Thanks to all in advanced!
    Maro
    IMG_2471.jpg

Albert-AMG, MRC, Yago and 3 others like this.
  2. abrod520

abrod520 Nov 2, 2018

You can hand-wind the Chronomatic movements, and I find that for a well-serviced movement only about 15 turns per day is necessary to keep it running. What that translates to on a winder I do not know

3. Maro

Maro Nov 2, 2018

Thanks @abrod520 I'll do that for now.
    Any comments on the winder box questions? Or usually collectors prefer not to use them?

4. abrod520

abrod520 Nov 2, 2018

I think it comes down to personal preference, though you may want to do your own research on putting vintage watches on winders. Generally it sounds like for older watches, it's best to leave it on just low enough of a setting that it maintains the wind, but doesn't constantly keep the rotor spinning

5. Maro

Maro Nov 2, 2018

Thanks again @abrod520
    Your help is much appreciated!

6. chronomaticguy

chronomaticguy Nov 2, 2018

Like abrod520 said, just wind it and wear it as you need. Wear it once in a month. Friction is the enemy of wheels. Parts for these movements aren't made anymore.

7. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Nov 4, 2018

That is lovely- beautiful watch and looks like TAG Heuer has done a great job. Can you give us an overview of the work that was done...maybe you have "before" and "after" photos?

Gambba likes this.
  8. Gambba

Gambba Nov 5, 2018

Stunning piece, and looks like the vintage department did a killer job. In the scheme of things that time and money taken is well worth it in my eyes given it being passed down from your father.

Good on you for taking that leap!

Maro likes this.
  9. Maro

Maro Nov 10, 2018

Thanks for your comments! I do love the looks of this watch, and even more the value of reminding me of my late father.
    They left it looking just like new! But I’m having a problem with how fast it stops ticking when not wearing it, less than a 24 hs... and the winding, even if I do a lot more than the 15 turn recommendation from @abrod520 does not hold either.
    I did not take before pictures, but here are a couple of the after.
    Thanks again for your comments!

image.jpg image.jpg
    Albert-AMG and Calibre11 like this.
  10. MRC

MRC Nov 10, 2018

Some numbers: my recently serviced Cal 11 (not done by TAG-Heuer) will run for 52.5 hours from fully wound -- over two days. If I do not give it an initial wind but simply set the time and put it on, then take it off after exactly 8 hours of wear it will run for a further 50.5 hours.

I am used to the routine of winding the watch I'm wearing every day, including a full wind when it is first taken out of storage, also I can do a time check while I'm winding -- and most importantly admire my taste in watches :D

Nice watch :thumbsup:

11. chronomaticguy

chronomaticguy Nov 10, 2018

Usually serviced Chronomatic movement should last about 48 hours if wound and worn. In your case, there are two things I can think of.
    First is to check if the service paper shows they did replace the MAINSPRING? I am sure this watch doesn't have the early version of Calibre 11, which had this problem of low power reserve.
    If they have changed the Mainspring, then the question is whether you wind it properly? The right way to wind it is following: while looking at the dial of the watch, take the crown with your left fingers and wind it clockwise towards your face.
    If you wind correctly, and the watch still doesn't pass the 24 hours mark, then send it back for checking the power train.

12. MRC

MRC Nov 11, 2018

Really? I understood that the first Calibre 11s had a stronger mainspring to power the date change between 23:50 and 00:10. My Cal 11 Hamilton has 52:30 reserve.

13. chronomaticguy

chronomaticguy Nov 11, 2018

Yes, realy! Mainspring is responsible for powering the watch, the more you turn it, the longer it works. It has really nothing to do with date change.

The part for the date change is 2556/1 date indicator driving wheel and was replaced by a new one with a wider hook to make the date creep instead of jumping.

Your Hamilton could have the second version of Cal 11 or when it was serviced was given a new mainspring or serviced properly.

I don't think Jarma came with the early Cal 11. If the OP properly winds the watch, then something is wrong with the mainspring.

14. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Nov 11, 2018

Agree- by 1977, there shouldn't have been any watches fitted with the Calibre 11...Calibre 12 only

15. Maro

Maro Nov 11, 2018

I believe you hit it in the nail, I was going the wrong way (counterclockwise), no wonder it felt very light!!
    The service indicate they did a complete overhaul of the movement, spring bars and gasket replacement, so my guess is that the mainspring has been changed. I´m now trying clockwise, the winding feels quite strong and tight, I´m guessing it´s due to the overhaul. My guess is that it will hold.
    Many thanks for the tip!!

16. Maro

Maro Nov 11, 2018

Hi again Calibre11 -- Here is the overview of the condition and work done, per your request, it gives an idea of today´s TagHeuer repair prices.... Tax not included.

HeuerRepairs.JPG