1. barrelandblue

barrelandblue Apr 16, 2020

Hi Everyone - I'm new to vintage Heuer watches, and have been fortunate enough to have acquired a few Autavias and a Carrera that all have the Calibre 12 movement.

I know this is an incredibly stupid question - but with the crown on the lefthand side I wanted to make sure I'm hand-winding it correctly. Generally I only hand wind if the watch is empty of power reserve and I want to start wearing it and jumpstarting the movement. So I suppose my questions are:

1) Is it bad on the movement to hand-wind an empty Calibre 12? Or should I just put it on and get the rotor moving to get things started?

2) Do I wind it clockwise or counter-clockwise as the crown is on the left? It is MUCH easier to wind counterclockwise, and when I go backward (our clockwise) it seems to be really gritty and worries me that I may be causing damage to the movement.

Anyways - any tips for what is best for these 1970's watches would be MIUCH appreciated - and sorry for the total newbie questions!

2. abrod520

abrod520 Apr 16, 2020

Welcome to the Forum and to the world of Chronomatic movements! :)

Nope, perfectly OK :thumbsup: They tend to have pretty good power reserves too so simply wearing it daily should keep it running.

Clockwise, just like any other watch - the watch module on these was just rotated 180 degrees. What I always did with mine was to turn it upside down, and wind as regular. They are gritty-feeling to hand wind, but if it feels as if you are truly forcing it you may want to have it checked by a watchmaker. Otherwise it may take a bit more effort than a more modern automatic watch, but won't hurt it.

Calibre11 likes this.
  3. barrelandblue

barrelandblue Apr 16, 2020

That's amazing - thanks so much for the help!!!!!!

4. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Apr 16, 2020

I used to do the same- turn it around and wind like normal

abrod520 and Hubert like this.
  5. SteveP

SteveP Apr 17, 2020

Actually, I used to wind it the wrong way too until I was enlightened by abrod's technique....it's by far the best/easiest way to do it in my opinion!
    Steve

Yago and abrod520 like this.
  6. MRC

MRC Apr 19, 2020

That caught me out too with my Cal 11 Hamilton. :confused:

On a positive note just the action of action of getting it out of the box and winding it the wrong way was enough to get it going via the micro-rotor.

Not quite so good news: I'm wearing it today and it shows the date as "7 18". Well, actually half a "7" and half an "8".

Yago and Calibre11 like this.
  7. chronomaticguy

chronomaticguy Jun 30, 2020

You can actually feel whether you are winding or not. If you wind correct way, you hear grinding and feels harder but if you go wrong way, it is just soft, the crown turns without any noise or resistance.