Guardian of Time London: Are they reputable?

1. marcushogan37

marcushogan37 Mar 12, 2018

Looking to buy a Monaco from them as the price is great but I'd like to ask first if anyone has had any experience with them?

2. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Mar 12, 2018

Haven't heard of them. I'd be cautious..the "About" section isn't working and it looks to be a brand new website, so their track record may be short. I'm sure the watches are original, but they appear to be a grey dealer, so it's not clear whether they really have the stock that they promote on the website.

Maybe checking them out in person is the answer

dc

marcushogan37 likes this.
  3. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Mar 12, 2018

Based on David's answer I would say no no you should look elsewhere. Follow your gut feeling and dont make decisions based on trying to save a few bucks... Better to pay a little more and support respected professional grey dealers like PlusWatch.

4. marcushogan37

I found them on chrono24. Lots of positive reviews and they seem legit. Based in Berkeley square in London and I phoned them today and they seemed v professional. Nonetheless I'll check out plenty of other sites. Hoping to get my first decent watch for my 21st next week, a Monaco calibre 11. Been dreaming about Monacos for the past 10 years!!

5. imagwai

imagwai Mar 12, 2018

I've seen them on chrono24 before but not used them. All dealers are out to make money from you but the watches are genuine. Just exercise the usual caution but you should be ok. Also, read their reviews on chrono24. Should give you a good idea.

6. marcushogan37

Cheers! Everywhere I look the reviews seem to be positive (too positive?) but I spoke with them on the phone and they seemed good. My only concern is payment. They wont ship the watch until everything is paid in full. I'm in London in 2 weeks time and told them I could pick up the watch in person and pay there and then but they still said I'd have to wire the money first

7. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Mar 12, 2018

Hmmm I would not be OK with that :thumbsdown:

TonyStark likes this.
  8. imagwai

imagwai Mar 12, 2018

Can't you offer a deposit to hold the watch for you?

TonyStark likes this.
  9. marcushogan37

They say that the watch isn't in their showroom but in a safe deposit and they'll ship it to either their showroom or my house here in Ireland once payment is received.........

10. imagwai

imagwai Mar 12, 2018

I guess they're not used to many in-person deals, but seems strange they wouldn't accept a deposit as good enough reason to get it into their showroom for you. Oh well, if you don't like it, then just move on. There'll be others.

TonyStark likes this.
  11. marcushogan37

I'll see how I feel. Price is great though and obviously I'll be protected by chrono24 so I'm still very tempted. I turn 21 next week and I've never owned a nice watch so the hype is crazy! I probably wont get my Monaco in time but I couldnt care less just as long as I have it!

12. MRC

MRC Mar 12, 2018

Perhaps because operating in the grey market they do not actually have one, but need to purchase it first, quite possibly from a different country? Under those circumstances the actual source of the watch will probably want payment in advance and in full too before shipping.
    Yup.

OTOH you only get one 21st birthday. (A computer programmer adds "In base-10 anyway...") If things go OK this could be a good way to get the watch, if things go awry (wrong watch, damage) there's little recourse.

Here's the "showroom", home to 135 companies:- http://www.axjax.com/properties/second-floor-office-to-rent-on-berkeley-square-mayfair-london/

13. TonyStark

TonyStark Mar 12, 2018

If you are relaxed about receiving it on your birthday day then the more reason to take your time and find a dealer you can be comfortable with.

I have no experience good or bad with these guys but would hate for you to somehow come unstuck.

Besides it's as much about the thrill of the chase as actually capturing the prey....and you'll want this watch to be with you for the rest of your life so what's a few more weeks

Edited Mar 12, 2018
  14. imagwai

imagwai Mar 12, 2018

If you buy from grey market, then it may not come with a validated/stamped warranty (even though the dealer may claim it does). If something goes wrong, you might be relying on the dealer you bought from so even more reason to trust them.

15. marcushogan37

Ugh I'm so conflicted! They're trusted by Chrono24, their reviews are positive and their prices are great. Why is this so hard!!!!!!!!

16. MRC

MRC Mar 12, 2018

That's life, unfortunately.

C24 make money from their advertisers, not the purchasers of watches shown on the site, so they need to trust the advertisers to pay their fees. I could create you a website for Hogan's guaranteed watches crafted from genuine Kerry gold with 100% positive reviews, and offer to sell them at a big discount because they're "direct from Killarney". It's easy, just look out for that melted butter....

I cannot say anything directly about GoT because I have never dealt with them, nor bought anything via C24 (but eBay and Chonotrader yes). What I can say is that my own 21st birthday Heuer arrived in the post after my father sent off a 20% deposit cheque, and in the parcel with the watch was a letter suggesting 2 ways to pay the remainder -- immediately or over 6 months. And it was at a discount over official price even then.

17. marcushogan37

marcushogan37 Mar 13, 2018

Are you irish?!

18. Gambba

Gambba Mar 13, 2018

You could have just asked if he was “Special”, as that equates to the same ::bleh::

Love the place myself, but still can’t understand a word folk from the capital say....you know Cork :D

I’d say do lots of research before jumping in with two feet in order to avoid heartbreak in the end.

Have you enquirer with a TH dealer to see if they can source one and if so if there’s a deal to be made?

There pricing is very low and more towards a used Tag Heuer branded dial version than the Heuer version. It raises the question of how are they offering a current model for £1700 (over 38%) cheaper than the standard retail price? I think their buying process is a little weird as well, and it is unlikely you will have warranty on it from TH.

19. marcushogan37

marcushogan37 Mar 13, 2018

Even Irish people make fun of the Cork accent but FYI, Dublin is our capital city.......

20. Gambba

Gambba Mar 13, 2018

Is that not the joke.....Cork folk always go on about how Cork should be the capital.