1. chema

chema Sep 7, 2016

Edited by a mod Sep 8, 2016
  2. dtf

dtf Sep 8, 2016

I've worn a full black aquaracer quite regularly (60-75% of the time) since Jan 2015. At first I was VERY paranoid about scratching it, but now I'm a bit more relaxed. So far it hasn't got ant noticeable scratches on the black coating, but the edges have got a tiny bit polished.

3. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Sep 8, 2016

The modern titanium carbide coatings are totally different to the coatings applied in the 1970s and 80s. But what determines isn't really the coating, it's the hardness of the material underneath. So, it shouldn't be any more prone to scratching than a steel model.

4. dtf

dtf Sep 8, 2016

Thats a little worrying considering what my steel aquaracer looks like after 7 or so years of near continuous abuse, the difference being the scratches on the steel case don't show up, unlike scratches on a PVD watch. So far I would say the PVD scratches less than the steel, but I am a lot more careful with it.

tldr - buy it because it looks amazing :)

5. chema

chema Sep 8, 2016

Maybe scratches in PVD are most visible than steel. I don' t know.but with hits are less hidden.
    Is there anyone who wear this watch and share comments?
    Thanks

6. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Sep 8, 2016

I should have been clearer- while it won't scratch any more than a steel model, I would expect it to scratch less than steel- because of the additional coating.

The original black coatings applied by PVD did scratch and scuff more than steel- especially the jubilee bracelets. But now we're talking about a titanium carbide coating, which doesn't chip away.

The reason that a brand like Sinn can boast about an almost un-scratchable black coating on their watches is not because of the coating itself but because of their "tegimented" steel process which hardens the steel. They key is not the coating, but the hardness of what the coating is applied to.

7. chema

chema Sep 14, 2016

Hi,
    Is there anybody who has this watch to give me his impressions/feelings about it?

Thanks in advance