1. PedroHeuer85

PedroHeuer85 Sep 27, 2016

Hi All,

This might seem like a silly question but how difficult is it to change the battery yourself. Im looking to purchase an old f1 model WA1212 but needs a new battery, I understand that sending off to Tag they will clean it and reseal it etc but the charge is a bit extortionate when I can buy a battery from my workplace for £0.60 and not bothered about it being cleaned up.

Thanks for your help :)

2. Rebnats

Rebnats Sep 27, 2016

Hi, Very easy if you have the right watch tools. I change all my family and friends watch batteries and straps.
    Watch tool kits can be bought on Amazon for between £10/£20. However I would not on a new watch under warranty. You could also replace any O ring seals the same time if necessary.

3. PedroHeuer85

Thanks for your reply, I have a proper 3 pin case back removal tool I just wasn't sure if there were any other complications involved in changing the battery on this model (eg unscrewing battery covers)

is there any particular grease youd recommend using if I were to replace the rings aswell?

4. Rebnats

Rebnats Sep 27, 2016

Just be careful when unscrewing the case back is not scratched. Cannot comment on any particular watch battery removal but most can be removed with tweezers etc. I do not replace any grease just the O rings, otherwise you end up with a full blown service of sorts which I do not claim to do.
    Cheers.

5. PedroHeuer85

im usually pretty careful and put masking tape over the back, would it be best to use some plastic tweezers (If I can find any) to remove the battery? don't want to short anything out lol

Think ill leave the greasing of the o rings :)

6. Rebnats

Rebnats Sep 27, 2016

Yes, plastic, however I do not know with your specific model how the battery looks. I have never had any problem removing batteries on any brand I have tried, either by tweezers, plastic screw driver or just a wooden tooth pick. Just depends on how battery is slotted in and secured. Some watch brands have case back slots requiring three pin case back tool, others case back popping blade or fine screwdriver if screwed down case. I just replace O rings and that's about it.
    I am sure more knowledgeable members of Tags could help further.

7. imagwai

imagwai Sep 27, 2016

Changing a battery yourself is very easy. However, unless you also change the rubber seals (all of them, including crown/pushers), lubricate them properly, and then do a pressure test afterwards, I would not take the watch anywhere near water.

Rebnats likes this.
  8. dtf

dtf Sep 27, 2016

If you have a screw down crown, unscrew it before your take the back off. On some watches the sprung crown can unseat the movement and damage the hands if not.

9. AussieAlex

AussieAlex Sep 28, 2016

If you're buying a watch and the seller says, "just needs a new battery", that's code for the watch is broken and a new battery wont fix it.

dtf likes this.
  10. Big Adam

Big Adam Sep 28, 2016

Just like any listing which states "I'm told it's a quick/simple/cheap fix"
    Then why didn't you fix it before selling it then?
    ::screwloose::

dtf likes this.
  11. elbeik

elbeik Sep 28, 2016

My favorite is "worn a handful of times" yet the strap looks like it has been chewed by a wild boar.

12. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Oct 20, 2016

My friend change the battery by himself then go swimming with the watch. Needless to say the watch is now retired. Formula 1 if i am not mistaken