1. liebs520

liebs520 Oct 23, 2017

Hi all, first post here in Calibre 11, trying to start with a bang... Heuer Carrera 7853N.

This is the watch that my dad got for high school graduation. As far as I know, it had been collecting dust in the back of his dresser for the last 20+ years. It was missing the start/stop pusher, there were some nasty scratches on the crystal, and the original bracelet was long gone. All that in addition to a missing lume plot or two, a blemish on the running seconds subdial, and a weird kind of decay to the lume on the minute hand.

All that said, I did some research online and it seems like this is a relatively rare reference (at least based on this thread over on Chronocentric: http://www.chronocentric.com/forums/heuer/index.cgi?md=read;id=69244). It also seems to have early-execution hands and dial based on OnTheDash. Here's a (crude) before picture:
    IMG_1585.JPG

Finally got this guy back from service today (almost 9 weeks later) and it seems like my watchmaker did some great work. He had old stock of the correct pushers, buffed some of the scratches out of the crystal, and overhauled the movement. Here are some shots taken during service as well as the final product.
    2017-10-17 09.03.40.jpg 2017-10-17 15.03.03.jpg
    IMG_2061.JPG

As I'm new to this whole watch-collecting game, feel free to point out anything that doesn't look right here! This was the first watch I've had serviced, so I'm hoping he did a good job and I can continue to use him. And let me know what you think of the watch!

Gambba, abrod520 and imagwai like this.
  2. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Oct 23, 2017

Congrats and welcome to the forum...what a great start! Love a watch with a true family history like this one, and am sure that it makes it even more special.

Looks like a good job was done to give the watch a light touch-up, but without over polishing. Probably my only advice would be to try out a nice black leather strap rather than the bracelet...but that comes down to personal preference.

Enjoy!

liebs520 and Gambba like this.
  3. liebs520

liebs520 Oct 24, 2017

Thanks for weighing in! Yeah I'm definitely getting rid of the crumby replacement bracelet. Just ordered a grey leather strap last night. The dial has a really blue tone to it in certain light, I think they grey is going to be a perfect match.

4. Gambba

Gambba Oct 24, 2017

Very cool piece and looks great! You're a lucky chap to get a great piece passed down to you with a history to it.....I wish I had a piece with a similar background. :thumbsup:

I can't recommend highly enough getting a custom strap made, as you can really make it yours. Not to say that you can't get great standard straps off the shelf, I just think a custom strap really finishes a piece off for me and adds to the specialness of it all.

If that appeals to you then have a check of Combatstraps/Aaron Bespoke, or for very Heuer and very vintage-esque straps then Heuerville Straps or DB10 straps are brilliant. Google any of those names above to see what they have.

Here's my Autavia on a Heuerville custom strap just as an example.
    IMG_8660.JPG

dtf, Calibre11 and liebs520 like this.
  5. liebs520

liebs520 Oct 24, 2017

Awesome, I really appreciate the recommendations. The strap I ordered wasn't too expensive (trying to keep the price in check after the cost of that service), but I'll definitely look into those sites for future strap purchases. I also like a couple options I saw on Bas & Lokes, wondering if anyone had experience with them.

6. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Oct 24, 2017

Yes, Bas & Lokes make every one by hand in Sydney- very nice straps, but the others recommended are also top notch

Gambba and liebs520 like this.
  7. liebs520

liebs520 Oct 24, 2017

First 24hr time test shows -4 seconds per day (using the Toolwatch app). Does that seem reasonable for a vintage chrono after a service?

8. Gambba

Gambba Oct 25, 2017

Yeah the Bas & Lokes are cool too as David says above as are Bulang & Sons.

Lots of very good options out there.

I don't know so much about loss and gain of time as I swap watches every day or two anyway depending on mood and dress, but -4 sounds rather good for a vintage I'd say.

liebs520 likes this.
  9. MRC

MRC Oct 25, 2017

It's within the COSC limit to be certified as a chronometer. So that's pretty good! It's about what I get from properly serviced watches, but those with no service history can be 30 seconds a day out and due for a trip to be sorted out fairly soon.
    I check the power reserve every six months and when (actually if so far) things deteriorate then I check them into my usual watchmaker's queue.

Good info about what to expect here: http://www.chronocentric.com/watches/accuracy.shtml

Nice watch, looking forward to seeing it on the grey strap.

P8150540.JPG

liebs520 likes this.
  10. liebs520

liebs520 Oct 25, 2017

Strap came in today! It's the Italian leather "Geckota" version from WatchGecko in grey. Unfortunately, in person, the grey is almost like a lavender-purple color, kind of weird. I emailed them about it so we'll see what they say, but it looks nice regardless. Got a shot off the wrist as well as a couple on the wrist to show how easy it is for the lighting to change the appearance of the sunburst dial.

2 misc. questions:
    1) When I ran the chronograph for the first time, I was surprised to see that the chrono minute had kind of "jumps" at the end of every minute. Is this how a lot of chronographs function? This is the first chronograph I've owned and I was surprised that the chrono minute hand didn't glide smoothly like the actual minute hand.
    2) Does anyone know why this strap would come with not 1, but 2 polishing cloths? Are these somehow useful for straps, or are they just weirdly generous with polishing cloths?

IMG_2067.jpg IMG_2068.jpg IMG_2069.jpg

abrod520 and Calibre11 like this.
  11. MrJKLFoams

MrJKLFoams Oct 25, 2017

Great piece and welcome to the forum.

liebs520 likes this.
  12. imagwai

imagwai Oct 26, 2017

Lovely watch, and nice strap (although my choice would probably be vintage black leather with white stitching). But the grey/purple looks nice.

Yes, many chrono movements increment the minutes like that.

liebs520 likes this.