Diver watch legendary status ranking discussion

1. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Oct 8, 2016

Hi guys,

Just want to have discussion about diver watch here.

I feel like the Tag Heuer Aquaracer ref WAY218A and all its range wasn't being appreciated enough by watch community in general. Normally i wouldn't care so much. But recently for me it has gone into escalation proportion therefore i want to start discussion in here.

To keep the objective i am gonna start part by part while comparing it with other brands in almost the same range.

In general first i am gonna start comparing it with Tudor. As you might have noticed recently Tudor Black Bay have been gaining rave review and i went to shop to see what is it about. The black bay in my opinion, is not a bad watch at all. But lets be honest here, i am sure if Tudor wasn't part of Rolex at all, it wouldnt be gaining the same enthusiasm as it is now. I myself went to the store to see it and i must say i am not impressed by the finishing (no offence intended. Only personal preferance).

I then went to Omega with my buddy because he is so interested in Co-Axial. We both look at planetocean and i was wearing my aquaracer at that time. My buddy agree with me the ceramic bezel is different. In the aquaracer, the number in the rotating bezel is "engraved". And lets not talk about the price here because recently Omega jack up the price so much. Sure the movement is co axial compare to sellita/ETA and the diameter of planetocean seamaster of course bigger.

I like the price of current aquaracer. This is the first aquamaster series that really attract my attention. I dare say this is the best aquaracer so far overall ( considering finishing, material, durability, movement and price) but i still dont understand that it doesnt attract that much interest yet (or maybe i am missing it. But let me know what you think later). For example. Seiko diver is consider legendary. What do you think ? Do you think aquaracer deserve legendary status among diver watch or you think its already is ? What is your grail diver watch ?

Of course there's also Rolex submariner. Without the doubt one of the most famous diver watch in the world. If you can choose to buy either
    rolex submariner and aquaracer, which one will you choose ?

By the way i am dying to see either Federico Talking Watch or The Urban Gentry to review 2016 aquaracer but i doubt they ever did.

Have a nice weekend good people

2. Big Adam

Big Adam Oct 8, 2016

While the WAY218A is an attractive watch, from the four watches you mention, it would be fourth on my shopping list.

3. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Oct 8, 2016

Nice ! Which one will it be :thumbsup: ?

4. Big Adam

Big Adam Oct 8, 2016

Well I already own a GMT-Master II so that probably answers your question! :D

5. dtf

dtf Oct 8, 2016

I did choose, I bought an aquaracer. The rolex sub is just too common, I assume they hand them out as a signing bonus in the finance sector. Adams gmt master came up on another thread, it's a very nice watch and I can see the attraction for everyday, but I wouldn't pick a sub.

That said, I'm not convinced the WAY218 counts as legendary, it's not been around long enough and it's just another aquaracer, a range which isn't exactly legendary (compared to the super ocean, sub etc). To me, the aquagraph is TAG's legendary dive watch, although it's not one I would wear.

I think this looks very smart:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ9uV42BcXP/

6. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Oct 8, 2016

An interesting question- this is the Aquaracer that you're talking about for those not sure.
    tag-heuer-way218afc6362-image-62306-920883.jpg
    A couple of comments on the others you mention:
    - Has been some interesting discussion recently about whether Tudor's "relaunch" has been as successful as we may believe. I like their designs, but agree 100% on the quality of the finishing (e.g. the un-finished rotor).
    - Omega? I've never been a fan of the Seamaster, but the Planet Ocean is a different story. Have owned one a while back and thought it was a very good watch..but the PO is a different price bracket to the Aquaracer, as you say.

When I think about TAG Heuer's legendary dive watches, I think of three- the 1000m, the Super Professional and the Aquagraph

I like the current Aquaracer, but I don't think it's at legendary status...yet. Most of the iconic designs remain unchanged for decades, but the Aquaracer tends to change every year or so. The current design is one of the best Aquaracers...although the hour-markers are 20% too large for me.

I thought for a long time that what the Aquaracer really lacks is a "hero" model. Something with an in-house movement and a hard-core design, like the other three designs I mentioned earlier. There is no reason that the Carrera range can extend towards $7000, but the Aquaracer range sits at around half of that. Let's see what a mega-Aquaracer would look like!

dtf likes this.
  7. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Oct 8, 2016

Yeah amen to mega-aquaracer brother !