1. matei

matei Feb 20, 2017

Hi everyone,

I have recently purchased one Carrera 36 Flyback, the CAR2B10, and I am still trying to figure out how to set up the seconds. When I pull out the crown, the line for permanent seconds (the small one on the left) is still moving. I found no way to actually stop the seconds line, so I can accurately set it up.

Do you know how this is done? Is there an issue with my watch, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
    Matei

2. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Feb 20, 2017

Hi Matei,

No, there's nothing you are doing wrong. The El Primero is a non-hacking movement, that is, the seconds hand doesn't stop when you pull out the crown. Not sure why, but I'd guess it was a technical limitation back in 1969.

3. matei

matei Feb 20, 2017

Many thanks for your fast reply.

Glad to hear that it is not an issue with my particular timepiece. However, do you know if there is any way to accurately set the seconds?

4. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Feb 20, 2017

I thought hacking referred to the movement of the seconds hand moving in one second increments as per a quartz or a deadbeat complication as opposed to sweeping as per the majority of automatics?

So the El Primero really doesn't have a stop seconds function to accurately set the time??

5. imagwai

imagwai Feb 20, 2017

My Speedmaster (and also my Carrera reissue which uses the same basic movement) doesn't hack but I am able to hold the second hand by gently moving the crown anticlockwise a small way and holding it there. Not sure if the el primero movement is the same.

6. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Feb 20, 2017

Wow another new knowledge

Thanks !

7. MrJKLFoams

MrJKLFoams Mar 9, 2017

Great to see someone who recently bought a cal36 flyback. Its a good addition to your collection coz this piece is actually discontinued now together with grand carrera. Would you mind sharing a wrist shot? I bought the black racer edition 2 weeks ago I end up buying the display one with a good discount and a free brand new leather strap from tag heuer. Yeah unfortunately no hacking on this one but this is a high beat mvt at 5hz so it should keep an accurate time. Cheers!

Edited Mar 9, 2017
  8. matei

matei Mar 14, 2017

Agree with you, I think this piece is nice to have since it was discontinued.

This is a photo with the leather strap, will post one soon with the steel band.

IMG_5871.jpg
    MrJKLFoams likes this.
  9. MrJKLFoams

MrJKLFoams Mar 16, 2017

Nice. Im thinking of replacing the strap with something red or even swap my 1887 racing edition strap. . Here's mine

IMG_0636.JPG
  10. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Mar 16, 2017

Have a look at a Hirsch Robby in red, I reckon that would work quite well. The only downside is the buckle doesn't come in black.

11. MrJKLFoams

MrJKLFoams Mar 16, 2017

Thanks. Im planning to use the tag heuer clasp. Thanks Il have a look.

12. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Mar 16, 2017

Since you wish to keep using the TH clasp, you will be limited by the straps you can buy to those that are specifically designed for TH clasps. Also note that there are two types of clasp, one that accepts a 2mm thick strap and one that accepts a 3mm thick strap. You need to know which you have in order to select a compatible strap.

The Hirsch Robby will not work unless you retain the buckle it comes with.

MrJKLFoams likes this.
  13. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Mar 16, 2017

Great photo. That watch looks so much nicer than when I saw it in the outlet...

MrJKLFoams likes this.