Forums Latest Auctions Members

Autavia Isograph trying to fly away!

1. jdcdpm52

jdcdpm52 Apr 17, 2020

I was one of the lucky ones to get the new Autavia in Isograph model before it was removed from retail. In my regular rotation of watches it definitely gets the most wrist time. Love It!

I wore it this past Tuesday (then my Carerra Wednesday, Link yesterday) and was going to wear the Autavia today. Of course it needed wound as it’s been about 70 hours since I had it on wrist. Well I was in for a surprise!

When winding the crown the watch vibrates rather aggressively and makes a sound like a propeller winding up and spinning fast getting ready to take off!!! Now I know this is an automotive/aviation watch :)...but wow! It sounds and feels like a kids wind up toy!

The watch is working. And I’m assuming this is the rotor spinning fast, but any ideas as to what is happening inside my beloved watch?

I sent a message to TAG through the website and did get an automated response and ticket number. But they are closed until Monday. All ADs of course are closed here as well. When I needed warranty work on my Carerra my AD took care of it.

So today is a repeat of yesterday....Link! Love this one too and the fact it gets so little love on the forums and Facebook pages!

image.jpg

heuerholic, Jim Dollares and imagwai like this.
  2. Remo

Remo Apr 17, 2020

This seems to happen with the Calibre 5 quite often. I I've read in forums that sometimes it's depending on the orientation of the watch while winding and I have read different opinions considering if it's a defect or not. I had a resistance using the handwinding function with my Aquaracer Cal. 5 too. The AD looked at it and said it's ok but he could send it to TAG Heuer if I wanted to wait, what I did. When it came back it worked, but I suspect they just exchanged the movement.
    Not an easy decision what to do considering the specialty of the Isograph.
    Very beautiful Link btw.

Albert-AMG and jdcdpm52 like this.
  3. jdcdpm52

jdcdpm52 Apr 17, 2020

I couldn’t imagine them changing out the movement since it’s the Isograph and the new ones are not unless they have other Isograph movements that passed COSC sitting around. And in actuality, they may have some since they pulled them from retailers. The ones that made it to retail did pass COSC.

Thanks for the compliment on the LINK. It’s such a beautiful and comfortable watch. I just can’t believe that TAG kind of ignores it from a marketing stand point.

4. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Apr 17, 2020

I wonder what would happen if you send it to Tag. I remember when Breitling had difficulties with the B60 chronograph, after decision to cancel the model and movement customers were offered another model for a set price (dont remember but 6000 USD or something like that) instead of getting their watch back. Breitling did what they could to get the watches off the market and Tag might do something similar, who knows

jdcdpm52 likes this.
  5. jdcdpm52

jdcdpm52 Apr 17, 2020

I could potentially see something like that. Or a scenario where they offer one of the updated non Isograph models and throw in the metal band, leather and nato straps considering the Isograph model I purchased had a $600 higher msrp than its non Isograph equivalent being sold now.

6. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Apr 17, 2020

Yes that would make sense. I hope you dont have to send it off, its really cool that you own one of the few isographs that made it out into the wild

jdcdpm52 likes this.
  7. jdcdpm52

jdcdpm52 Apr 17, 2020

I don’t mind sending it off...when I had my Carerra services under warranty it came back great! But I agree...it’s cool to have an Isograph...It’s my most unique watch because it’s a rarity!

Jim Dollares likes this.
  8. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG Apr 17, 2020

Yes, it seems this behaviour is quite common with Calibre 5, but I would not worry about it, and for sure I would not send it to TH, because it could return to you without the Isograph system! :eek:

If you don’t like the way how it’s manually wound, just put it on a watchwinder, and it will be always ready to wear and with no manual winding needed ;)

Jim Dollares likes this.
  9. jdcdpm52

jdcdpm52 Apr 17, 2020

I have to do a google search about this with the caliber 5 (ETA 2824). I assuming is the rotor being spun really fast when I wind it?? Any clue as to why?

10. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG Apr 17, 2020

It seems that when you wind it manually, it engages some element (rotor?) that perhaps should not engage, and this produces this special sound... but it seems it doesn’t hurt the watch

11. jdcdpm52

jdcdpm52 Apr 17, 2020

It sounds and feels like a wind up toy! The more I wind the faster it sounds like it’s going...that’s why I said but sounds like it will fly away!!!

12. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG Apr 17, 2020

:D :D

jdcdpm52 likes this.
  13. Remo

Remo Apr 17, 2020

I get my automatic watches to run just by shaking them sideways a few times. Only once it stopped a bit later, probably since I didn't move my arm enough. :)

jdcdpm52 likes this.
  14. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Apr 18, 2020

Is this issue common among all brands using Sellita sw200/300 or ETA 2824? Or is it a Tag problem?

15. Remo

Remo Apr 18, 2020

WernerBoeinck and jdcdpm52 like this.
  16. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Apr 18, 2020

Valjoux 7750 movements sound like this too.

jdcdpm52 likes this.
  17. jdcdpm52

jdcdpm52 Apr 18, 2020

18. Jim Dollares

I assume you mean this problem is common in the 7750 movement as well, because for sure the rotor is not supposed to spin madly when you wind it.

19. Jim Dollares

20. Jim Dollares

Also, how much does a Marathon watch cost? It uses a steel movement holder!?

I know of watches that cost 2 or 3 times as much using a plastic movement holder *cough* Aquaracer...