Forums Latest Auctions Members

2020 TAG Heuer Connected G3 - Wishlist & Discussions

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VRman

VRman Aug 28, 2019

I think if they throw a Wear 3100 in the new model at those price points, it'll be a lost cause. Seeing some of the reviews on the $1000 MontBlanc Summit 2 show that's it's a tough sell when comparing to Fossil and other 3100 equip'd SWs for $600-$700 less.

At first I thought they might dial it back to a hybrid model(s) to bring in more of a mechanical feature/look, but that price range and a spring release has me wondering if they'll release it with the Snapdragon Wear 429. Similar to the CM45's Intel chip it's based off a currently in use cell/tablet chip and offers alot of possibilities. On paper it's almost 2x the spec of the current 3100 which was not a big leap from the 2100(IMO)
    Here's a German article that offers some overview on the 429:
    https://winfuture.de/news,109972.html

2. TjPhysicist

TjPhysicist Aug 28, 2019

Yea but the ONE thing is, would it have the ability to show off full watchface during ambient mode like 3100? The biggest letdown for me is that Tag has designed such BEAUTIFUL watchfaces, but the ambient mode takes off 90% of the design elements (for no reason too, sometimes, they could well have done a black/white version but let the elements like tick marks etc remain). With 3100 at least they'd be able to Properly showcase the watchface designs they have createde in the "ultra ambient" mode that allows for full color, design elements and seconds hand.

It's sad how many ppl seem to miss this aspect, i was at the fossil store and the guy there didn't even MENTION This as a reason to buy when someone asked what the gen5 had over the gen4, he DID mention the "multi day battery mode" as it's called, but no mention of the fact that it would have a full colour and detailed watchface during that time.

3. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG Aug 29, 2019

You don’t need 3100 to have the “ultra ambient” mode with full color and full details. 1st and 2nd generations of the TH Connected already have it if you install the WatchMaker app. It’s just a matter of software, not hardware: TH designed these factory installed Carrera faces with a very basic and minimalist ambient mode to save battery, but they could have designed them with a fully detailed ambient mode, as you can set with the WatchMaker app on both 1st and 2nd gen.

These are pictures in “ultra ambient” mode, just using the WatchMaker app:
    A014D754-0708-4A9B-B4ED-24DEDE898FD2.jpeg D58AC145-E2F2-41A2-9F42-D93B4A93728F.jpeg E8529624-A3B5-42B0-A2A4-E11D0356760B.jpeg 23A11427-69E6-4C81-BEA5-611011297144.jpeg

BMW Works likes this.
  4. TjPhysicist

TjPhysicist Aug 29, 2019

oh yea that's what I do all the time. I just meant that: The watchmaker faces I've seen are AMAZINGLY made, but i always felt a little sad about Tag made faces...exactly as you said, there's no reason they COULDN'T have enabled full color and details like in watchmaker (it honestly doesn't really affect battery THAT MUCH IMO) and they are very well made, with stunning details and graphics, that basically NEVER get seen.

BMW Works and Albert-AMG like this.
  5. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG Aug 29, 2019

Yes! This is why I never use the factory installed faces :unsure:... because the ambient mode is not good. TH should add the option to switch from “basic ambient” to “ultra ambient” mode in the watch settings, and let the users decide about battery duration. Mostly with last Wear OS updates (System H), battery can handle with no problem a “ultra ambient” mode during all day :thumbsup:

BMW Works, VRman and TjPhysicist like this.
  6. dtf

dtf Aug 29, 2019

7. gnc1000

gnc1000 Aug 30, 2019

SO, I have an update:

Two years ago, when I purchased my Connected 45, there were software problems with it, so I decided to find JC Biver's email and write to him directly (assuming I would get a corporate response).

I was very surprised to actually get a reply from him, and I had the email thread still (he had copied sales and engineering VPs that reported to him... so I replied to that old email chain with my experience in NYC -- and have gotten some replies.

I had a reply from one person who left watch operations early 2018 to found a company doing basic research for Tag, and has not been involved in the Connected project since fall 2017-- he tells me Biver left a year ago (which we knew), some others I replied to are on holiday right now, etc.

But said it was a highlight of his career working on Connected, and that Intel holds up the project as 'best practice'.

Tag Customer support replied this morning:

"My name is Maud, I'm in charge of the Customer Care at TAG Heuer's HQ in Switzerland. I was informed of your email to Mr. Biver, and wanted to thank you for your loyalty to our brand, and for taking the time to contact us and share your feedback, we really appreciate.

The Connected watches have been a massive success and are now a constitutive part of our core collections, such as the Carrera and the Monaco watches. We are very proud of what we have been able to achieve in term of design and technology on the first models, and we are continuously working on releasing new features, more accessories, and extended experience. The TAG Heuer Golf is the perfect illustration of this ambition.

I'm surprised to read your feedback from your visit in New York City and can't unfortunately confirm or infirm what they said. As I wrote above, we are continuously working on the Connected collection, but no information related to a new system of modularity has been communicated."

SO -- essentially no comment, but at least they got my feedback, and I replied reiterating that I would be reluctant to purchase the new model if it did not support existing modularity (hopefully I didn't get the dude in NYC fired)

More info if I get anything.

Hubert, ddaenen1, TjPhysicist and 4 others like this.
  8. VRman

VRman Sep 10, 2019

9. Feanor

Feanor Sep 13, 2019

I know that in product development there is a predictably strict regime of confidentiality and that retailers are certainly not included in the know until the very last moment by the marketing departments of the mother company. So I cannot tell if you got the dude in New York in trouble, but I am nevertheless surprised that he has seen the next Connected so many months before its release. So, either he relayed false information, or he indeed revealed more than he should (unless TAG Heuer have a more relaxed secrecy policy than the industry average - which I really doubt).
    However I was also suspecting that the next Connected might ditch modularity in favour of freeing up space for more technology, like heart rate monitor and maybe a larger battery (and maybe LTE connection, though I doubt it), so I somehow think his insight may be correct. Disappointing but plausible.

10. Hubert

Hubert Sep 18, 2019

11. Scratchy

Scratchy Sep 20, 2019

12. Hubert

Hubert Sep 20, 2019

^ Yes, hopefully the Q1 release will not slip.

BMW Works likes this.
  13. Remo

Remo Oct 3, 2019

14. Hubert

Hubert Oct 4, 2019

Latest rumors say TH is still targeting Q1 release.

However, this time the look will go for classic lines and a higher quality feel.

VRman likes this.
  15. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG Oct 5, 2019

Classic lines with a digital screen smartwatch... :thumbsdown: It could look like a classic car from the 60’s with an electric engine inside :eek:

I think the modern Carrera style (Heuer 01, 02, and 02T) was the best option for a Carrera Connected watch (first and 2nd gen), sharing same design of case, lugs, straps, and even mechanical modules... :thumbsup:

I have to see it first, but I think it could look weird in a classic Carrera style. Anyway, for me the main problem for the third gen is the loss of the modularity :whipped:

16. Hubert

Hubert Oct 5, 2019

Yeah, it breaks my heart for you due to your vast modular strap and lug collection.

I am definitely planning on getting it. If the rumor is correct, it should be a step upwards in quality. Both the Mk I & II lacked overall refinement on the bezel. The next gen is rumored to improve on that and look like a classic Carrera chronograph.

Albert-AMG likes this.
  17. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG Oct 5, 2019

Thanks @Hubert ! :) But I’m fine with my current Modular collection being the only existing Modular watch ever. This will make this watch -with this unique feature- even more special and collectible in the future... I will always remember Mr. Biver during the press presentation, shouting: “it’s Modular!!” :)

When I was informed the 3rd gen would not be compatible with the 2nd gen Modular system... just because it will be not Modular!, I then decided to order the last four straps from the TH accessories catalogue that were missing in my collection ;)

I would prefer the 3rd gen compatible with the Modular system, just to upgrade the smartwatch module when necessary, and maybe to include some more new straps to my collection, but it’s not a serious problem at all for me: I already have enough straps and bracelets, I have enough with current 2nd gen smartwatch functions (and it’s working even better with last system updates), and I have two mechanical modules if in the future the smartwatch modules have technical problems... so I will save money because I’m not going to buy anything from the 3rd gen! :D

I understand you, because you already have 1st and 2nd gen, so it will be nice to also have the 3rd gen in your Carrera collection :thumbsup:

Hubert likes this.
  18. BMW Works

BMW Works Oct 6, 2019

I hooe they ll keep the actual design and lugs and change the hardware. Maybe a slightly bigger dial would be nice. 46mm. Hope it wont be a classic design.. If yes. I ll stick to cm 45 and maybe by another for spare. Cm45 is the only smartwatch with a futursistic design and hope this will remain unchanged. God bless.

Albert-AMG likes this.
  19. TaherLaddu

TaherLaddu Nov 14, 2019

I love to change my TH45 dial, lugs and straps as per the events.
    And with the news that the modularity is not there in the next generation watch is a complete disappointment for me.
    Heart rate sensor is always welcome but the looks should not be classic.
    Even today, TH45 is the best-looking smartwatch available on the planet.

Tequila-007, BMW Works and Albert-AMG like this.
  20. gnc1000

gnc1000 Nov 15, 2019

If true as I was told I NYC (and I have no real way of knowing if this is the case, ultimately) ...this is a huge fail by TH, as I suspect many 2nd gen users will not upgrade.

All they need to do is to redesign the lug with the strap end, and can change the watch side of the lug as necessary.

I had assumed that a compatible gen3 'upgrade' would mean buying a new watch/strap/lugs anyway.

....and release a bunch of different straps/bands that could now work with either gen2 or gen3.

This seems like common sense and a huge wasted sales opportunity.

I think if you feel as I do, a complaint/concern to Tag would be in order.

TaherLaddu, BMW Works and Albert-AMG like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.