Forums Latest Auctions Members

2020 TAG Heuer Connected G3 - Wishlist & Discussions

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hubert

Hubert Aug 8, 2019

2. VRman

VRman Aug 9, 2019

I hope they don't use the same CPU(SnapDragon) as other smartwatch makers. I always loved the fact that they'll separated themselves from all other SW makers with the CPU choice. This was a nice addition to Name(Brand), Quality and Design. The Intel CPU was overkill from an average SW pov but I thought it added to the value. I hope they do something similar with added functionality (i.e. AI like in a previous post)

I always like this article (2017) because it highlighted the use potential of the CPU in TH Modular series.
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/318...hone-chip-in-tag-heuers-1-600-smartwatch.html

BMW Works and Albert-AMG like this.
  3. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG Aug 9, 2019

Interesting, and interesting article! :thumbsup:

BMW Works likes this.
  4. Hubert

Hubert Aug 13, 2019

They had such optimism for this chip and then the rug got pulled under them.
    Did you notice the part about the headphone jack? ::facepalm2::

5. TjPhysicist

TjPhysicist Aug 20, 2019

Ooh that's what that hole in the side of the watch is.
    :D

Wait, what's wrong with the new snapdragon 3100?
    Also,idk man, but my tag watch isn't exactly the snappiest response. Otoh, battery life of amazing..

6. OzzyGaidz

OzzyGaidz Aug 22, 2019

Does anyone have any ideia of the usual release date for the connected? I am waiting for the new gen to also be part of the team over here.

Thanks!

7. gnc1000

gnc1000 Aug 25, 2019

I am in New York this weekend visited the Tag Store on 5th Ave and was told some (distressing) information about the 2020 Connected by the staff there who claims to have seen it.

Will NOT be compatible with existing Connected straps, new mechanism similar to quick release on the Careera to change straps, heart rate monitor, NO analog modules this time around... release in March.

Will take a wait and see, but this is very disappointing.

Edited Aug 25, 2019
    BMW Works likes this.
  8. TjPhysicist

TjPhysicist Aug 25, 2019

Well, that settles it then, selling my tag to move to fossil gen5.

Unless...does this man they're going the way of other lvmh company smart watches... $500ish and wear 3100? (Luios vuitton just released one too)

Edited Aug 25, 2019
  9. gnc1000

gnc1000 Aug 25, 2019

Also-- only 4 models/combinations, and price range $1400-$2000

Would not talk about the chip, other features.

10. TjPhysicist

TjPhysicist Aug 25, 2019

But...why? It's not like it would have cost them more money, they could have literally charged the same money and make it compatible...someone at tag has the brains of a doorknob

11. gnc1000

gnc1000 Aug 25, 2019

Biver has semi-retired. (my opinion)

Edited Aug 25, 2019
    BMW Works likes this.
  12. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG Aug 25, 2019

Yes, very disappointing... :confused:

But, on the other hand, it’s very good news for my savings ;), because in this case I’m not going to spend a penny on the 3rd generation, and I will fully enjoy my Modular collection without new “distractions” :D

But it’s disappointing, because -if this info you received from the TH Store is true- it means that 3rd gen loses the most powerful differentiating element that has the current one: its modularity.

Because being Modular is not only being able to change easily and quickly the straps (and buckles, and lugs, which I understand will no longer be interchangeable in the 3rd Gen), is not only being able to personalize the watch with many different combos of straps/lugs/buckles... being Modular is also being able to change the smartwatch module by a mechanical module (in just 5 seconds), a feature that makes the 2nd Gen unique... and it seems it will remain unique, and probably more collectable for that reason

I don't think Mr. Biver likes the 3rd Gen just being connected, but no longer modular...

BMW Works likes this.
  13. Hubert

Hubert Aug 26, 2019

I was imaging you like....
    [​IMG]

Albert-AMG likes this.
  14. BMW Works

BMW Works Aug 26, 2019

If it will be a round normal watch.. I ll stay with cm45 until it ill become absolete. I like the futuristic design The sharp edges. It was the main reason i .bought it. I still like it so much. Hoped the third would be 90% same shape but better hardware. I do not give a fk about HR monitor. Have a slim fitnessband that i wear all time. I hoped all of us that own a cm45 could only buy the new head and fit to old straps and lugs. I have only 4 straps but Albert spent a small fortune on his collection. Fkd up news. Hope its not right.

Albert-AMG likes this.
  15. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG Aug 26, 2019

:D :D :D
    No, it was more like doing this :whipped: to the TH responsible/s that the 3rd gen is not compatible with the current Modular system! :D

But it’s not dramatic news at all for me, because -as I told in the previous post- this is good for my savings! ;) Being not compatible, I’m not going to spend a penny on the 3rd gen: It doesn’t meet any of the conditions on my wishlist, and the first one (compatibility) was essential. So it means that with two more rubber straps (green and electric blue, which I will order tomorrow at my AD), my Modular collection will be completed! ::rimshot::

BMW Works likes this.
  16. gnc1000

gnc1000 Aug 26, 2019

I hope not either, but the person I spoke to seemed very sure, of what he was saying-- and of course as a salesman said he wasn't happy at first either, but once he saw the new model in detail now thinks it will be great.

My only consolation, I have (both) analog modules, so my collection of many straps will not be unused.

However, if the new watch was compatible with the current strap hardware, it would be an automatic purchase.

Now questionable, will wait and see, perhaps not until this watch is completely obsolete (poor choice by Tag!)

This was pretty shocking-- I figured out worst case scenario was different lugs that would made mechanically with the strap fittings-- so you would buy a new 'complete' 2020watch, but be able to use your hardware, and that would be OK.i

I will tell you, the people with me told me the woman who was clearly the store manager observing the conversation looked panic stricken at my reaction.

BMW Works and Albert-AMG like this.
  17. Hubert

Hubert Aug 26, 2019

[​IMG]

18. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG Aug 26, 2019

:D:D

You don’t believe me, but I’m really serious on this: I’m not going to buy the 3rd gen if it’s not compatible with the current Modular system

And the info from @gnc1000 is even worst: the 3rd gen is not compatible... because it’s not Modular anymore! :confused: And this Modularity is one of the main reasons because I bought the TH CM45!

About smartwatch features, I’m fine with current gen because I only use the notifications, so I don’t have any motivation to spend again $1400-$2000 on a (non-compatible/non-Modular) TH Connected, because I’m more than happy with the current TH CM45 and its Modular collection :thumbsup:

BMW Works and Renat1992 like this.
  19. Feanor

Feanor Aug 27, 2019

Well... I find the news disappointing but totally expected. By the time the next Connected is released, the current model will be three years old, so for most customers (not us, who are apparently enthusiastic enough to write here) the modular concept will be long forgotten.
    I was also anyway afraid that the next Connected wouldn't be Modular, because I mentioned before that it would be probably a huge technical challenge to fit all the technology typically expected nowadays by a smartwatch in a modular concept, where the lug release mechanism takes also a lot of space.
    But ultimately the defining reason was probably Biver's departure: the Modular concept was clearly his pet project and the new CEO probably checked the numbers and probably made little sense to go on with this system.

20. gnc1000

gnc1000 Aug 27, 2019

I agree that I thought this was a possibility, but still surprising, and I agree about Biver's departure.

I don't think the current version has been forgotten-- there was a new model this spring "Golf edition" which included an app from a company they acquired-- plus, same store, the Connected display was in the entryway to the store.

I don't agree that the connector mechanism to the lug, andthe lug itself are that complicated (although machined beautifully). All they would need to do is to match the strap connector to a new lug with different dimensions, and the lug itself would be the transition to a new model.

I'm going to pursue a few more avenues to find out more info, will see what happens.

BMW Works, Albert-AMG and Renat1992 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.