1. Ara

Ara Mar 20, 2019

Interview with Guy Bove from TH with WatchAdviser.

Remo and Yago like this.
  2. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Mar 20, 2019

OK, having slept on it, a few more thoughts:
    - I have no problems with the Autavia range being more than just a re-edition. We saw the Monza come and go- and the same thing would have happened with the Autavia unless the range was somehow broadened (of course, this could have been done several ways)
    - In the cold hard light of day, TAG Heuer has its motor racing chronograph and its called Carrera. Apart from the occasional cameo, it's too hard to have a second motor racing chronograph in the range- how do you explain the difference to a watch buyer, especially as today's Carrera borrows elements from the Autavia that used to make them different (larger case, external turning bezel)
    - Can you imagine the outrage from Dashboard timer lovers in 1962 when Heuer ruthlessly took the name of one of their most famous timers and had the temerity to use it on a wristwatch, without any regard to the ~30 year history of the series ;) Lucky there was no social media back then
    - As for the watch itself, I want to see the proportions. I would have preferred 40mm for the watch while keeping the Chronograph at 42mm (OK, I would have preferred the Chrono at 40mm, but that's not going to happen)
    - In particular, the dial- the first prototype that I saw had a flat, ordinary dial, whereas the final models look to have slightly raised numerals...much better
    - If anything, I wonder if the new design is too much of a compromise. By trying to still have a little bit of auto and a little bit of aviation...would TAG Heuer have been better off by fitting an onion crown and going the full hog into a Pilots series?

I can't wait to do a proper week on the wrist with one of these to see what it's really like.

3. Yago

Yago Mar 20, 2019

It’s perfectly plausible a 39mm Autavia lies ahead. It looks like TH are setting up the Autavia to be their BB range.

4. imagwai

imagwai Mar 20, 2019

Yes, maybe. Funnily enough, I've just put a deposit on a BB58 after finally managing to see one in the flesh at an AD today. It's refundable, though (just in the unlikely event Tudor spring a blue version on us in the next couple of days or Tag release a 39mm Carrera at a similar price point)!

TonyStark and Yago like this.
  5. Yago

Yago Mar 20, 2019

Congrats! Yes the BB58 would be my choice. Next to its big brother it just looks so well proportioned. And the bracelet is a lot nicer too. I hope they’ll release a gmt in the 39mm but I’m afraid we won’t see one this year.

6. THJunkie

THJunkie Mar 20, 2019

Looks like they've made a new box too.

Screenshot 2019-03-20 at 20.03.39.png
    Yago, Jim Dollares and Remo like this.
  7. imagwai

imagwai Mar 20, 2019

Thanks! The BB58 looks so much better in person than in pictures (like many watches I guess). The one I saw was spoken for but they reckon I won't have to wait more than a couple of months. They did have a NATO version to take away today and would have ordered a bracelet for me to go with it, but that would have cost about £300 more so was happy to wait.

8. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Mar 20, 2019

Dunno if that's exclusive to the Autavia, I heard the brown boxes are on the way out - something new is coming..

9. TonyStark

TonyStark Mar 20, 2019

Think I need to see the watch before I'd know if I'd buy one ( I already have several on my list.. that said I've been hankering after a bronze watch.....)

But I'm happy with what I see and I think it's a strong addition to the tag heuer portfolio. Recently, there really hasn't been much to draw people to the brand versus rivals.

In terms of the modern twists, I think there is a lot going on at the price point.
    Neat interchangeable Strap
    Ceramic bezel
    Hairspring technology and the certified chronometer the price point - pretty good.

Jim Dollares likes this.
  10. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Mar 20, 2019

Something about chronographs this fall according to the Tag rep talking in this video (2:49) perhaps we have a German friend here that can translate the details, sounds like he says "massiert werden" but that would mean that the chronographs will get massage, yes? :D

My appologies if it has been mentioned in other articles before, I have not yet read up on all the details...

11. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Mar 20, 2019

I certainly don't think the Chrono is dead!

Jim Dollares and Ara like this.
  12. Ara

Ara Mar 20, 2019

Fingers crossed! If TH reboots with a close to 1:1 clone of a 60s Autavia (or just gets close) I’m sure everyone will be OK with all the other variations.

13. Hubert

Hubert Mar 20, 2019

Love the quick release for the straps!

Calibre11 and Ara like this.
  14. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Mar 20, 2019

I haven't watched the video yet but QR straps has to be the way to go. It is so much more owner friendly.

Calibre11 likes this.
  15. Ara

Ara Mar 20, 2019

So much better than the 3D renders.

Jim Dollares likes this.
  16. Yago

Yago Mar 21, 2019

Aha the TH guy says in the Fall chronograph Autavias with 01 or most probably 02 will be launched ;)

Ara and Hubert like this.
  17. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Mar 21, 2019

Do you think that given what's happened with the Autavia now - new models (albeit pretending to be old) could we see a modern Autavia as has happened with the Carrera? Or do you think the Autavia will now be TAG Heuer's 'retro' line allowing the Carrera more freedom to be modern. Also, why not a return of the Monza with the TAG Heuer logo, if we can have 'new' Autavias then why not Monza as well?

Jim Dollares and dtf like this.
  18. EnricoDePaoli

EnricoDePaoli Mar 21, 2019

Hello all!

That bronze is amazing. The aging is probably what’s gonna make it really different than anything else we’re used to. I just didn’t see it on TAG’s website. First time I’m blown away with a new release in a while. I’m so used to the 90s TAGs including the 1st re-issues of the Carrera and Monaco. But this is really really a great re-interpretation of a classic. Is it solid bronze ?

Jim Dollares likes this.
  19. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Mar 21, 2019

20. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Mar 21, 2019

Monza with the correct logo would be awesome :cool:

Ara likes this.